Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Maximazing points as a non-US citizen visiting the US for 6 months

Old May 8, 2023, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Hi!

I'm not a US-citizen. However, I will be studying the US for 1 semester (6 months) in the fall, and i'm trying to figure out if I can benefit from some of the crazy rewards programs the US has to offer (In my home country, we have no rewards what so ever).

I am going to have a US-address during the period, and I will be travelling quite a bit. Also, the costs associated with the studying are around $10k, so i'm thinking if I can pay that amount while I am on a rewards program, I have a pretty good headstart? I'm not sure if i'm even eligible though, since i'm neither a citizen or have a SSN. I will get the offer of opening up a bank account from one the banks the school are working with, so perhaps I can secure a credit/debit card through them. I will have to wait till I arrive to find out exactly how that deal work though.

So my question is pretty much, if anyone knows if I'd be eligible for some of the rewards programs?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 8, 2023, 7:08 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
It will be quite difficult without an SSN. Debit cards don't typically offer notable rewards with few exceptions. Credit cards can, but it obviously depends on which bank you'll be opening an account with and if they'll offer you a card without an SSN, which I believe to be unlikely.

One way you can generate points will be to use a shopping portal for whatever you need within the US. I'm not sure which program you plan on working with, but Cashback Monitor lists which program portals have offers for many shopping sites.

Good luck!
Old May 8, 2023, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveholt
It will be quite difficult without an SSN. Debit cards don't typically offer notable rewards with few exceptions. Credit cards can, but it obviously depends on which bank you'll be opening an account with and if they'll offer you a card without an SSN, which I believe to be unlikely.

One way you can generate points will be to use a shopping portal for whatever you need within the US. I'm not sure which program you plan on working with, but Cashback Monitor lists which program portals have offers for many shopping sites.

Good luck!
Thanks, Steve

I am afraid that they won't offer me a credit card as well.

What are some of the exemptions of the debit cards?
Old May 8, 2023, 7:54 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by TheForeigner11
Thanks, Steve

I am afraid that they won't offer me a credit card as well.

What are some of the exemptions of the debit cards?
Suntrust has a Delta debit card that earns one mile for every $2 you spend. It's a horrific rate by US standards, but better than nothing.
Old May 8, 2023, 8:25 am

I'd forget about miles and focus on the best deal. Without flying/credit cards you are not going to be collecting sufficient miles to make it worth it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.