Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Turkish Airlines changed flight time but I cannot confirm?

Old Mar 13, 2023, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Good evening
Can anyone please help with some advice.
I have a flight booked with Turkish Airlines. A few weeks ago they changed the departure time of my return flight. Their email said:
"You can confirm the new flight option or make necessary change transactions via manage booking page on our Mobile app and Website."
So I went online and confirmed the new time.

Today I received another email from them. They have changed my return flight time again. And sent an email saying:
"You can confirm the new flight option or make necessary change transactions via manage booking page on our Mobile app and Website."

BUT this time I am unable to do anything to confirm this change. I'm happy with the change but if I log in online I am not given the chance to accept the new time. I downloaded their phone app but again I cannot see an option to confirm.

What is likely to happen? Will they do anything drastic such as cancel my booking? (that would be very difficult for me, I really want to keep my booking).

Anyone got any advice to help me? Many thanks, it would be much appreciated
Old Mar 13, 2023, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA
I've requested a moderator move this to the turkish forum
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by peternorthampton
I have a flight booked with Turkish Airlines. A few weeks ago they changed the departure time of my return flight. Their email said:
So I went online and confirmed the new time.

Today I received another email from them. They have changed my return flight time again. And sent an email saying:

BUT this time I am unable to do anything to confirm this change. I'm happy with the change but if I log in online I am not given the chance to accept the new time. I downloaded their phone app but again I cannot see an option to confirm.

What is likely to happen? Will they do anything drastic such as cancel my booking? (that would be very difficult for me, I really want to keep my booking).
You will be fine. If it is just a schedule change (retimed flight) there is no need to do anything. TK will not cancel your reservation. If it is the return flight you inform the check-in agent when you fly the outbound, that the schedule change for the return flight is acceptable. Otherwise you approach a TK desk at IST when you arrive and ask them to confirm the schedule change for return flight.

I agree. You should have posted this Q in the dedicated TK forum.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let me add. Next time you have a schedule change of more than 15 min with TK, don't accept it right away! Let it be because until you accept it you have the flexibility to rebook or even cancel the ticket for free as this is considered invol. rebooking or cancellation due to sch.change. The moment you accept the retimed flight you loose this flexibility (and any cancellation or rebooking will have to be made according to ticket rules, i.e. is going to cost you). You may even change destination or origin within the same zone when you have a invol. schedule change like this.

The TK rebooking rules when you have a cancellation or invol. schedule change are very generous so no need to accept a retimed flight quickly.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 5:57 am
Original Poster

SK AAR
Many thanks for your kind help.
I hadn't realised there was a TK forum.

This second change was only for 5 minutes. Could that be why it isn't being offered to me when I login to my TA account?

Thanks again for your kind help
Old Mar 14, 2023, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Sorry but I cannot find the Turkish forum. Can anyone please give me a link? Thanks

The 'Europe' forum mentions Turkey but I cannot see a dedicated Turkey forum
Old Mar 14, 2023, 6:30 am

Programs: UA
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turk...es-smiles-641/
Old Mar 14, 2023, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peternorthampton

This second change was only for 5 minutes. Could that be why it isn't being offered to me when I login to my TA account?
If the schedule change is only 5 min and it doesn't interrupt your itinerary you would not be offered any options in this situation and there is no need to confirm anything. I have had such small schedule changes in the past which I just ignored (without any negative consequences).
Old Mar 14, 2023, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks. I also would have ignored such a small change in timing BUT they wrote to me and said
Old Mar 15, 2023, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just ignore.
"You can confirn..."; it doesn't say you need to confirm...
Old Mar 15, 2023, 8:46 am

This is good info to know. I had exactly such a situation of a very minor schedule change and was able to cancel the ticket (even though it was bought through third party OTA) for full refund. I thought it was a mistake on TK's part to offer the refund but it worked out great because I was able to book better flights.

I will also say that pretty much every TK flight I have ever booked has schedule changes, usually several, right up to a week or two before departure. It is pretty frustrating but knowing this 15 minute rule makes it slightly more tolerable.

I even had one case where they changed the departure time of a flight I was on by 10 minutes-- from 11:55 p.m. to 12:05 a.m.- but their system kept me on the same date. In other words instead of 10 minutes later I was moved to 23 hours 50 minutes earlier and it was a bit of a nightmare to try to get them to change it (since the system still was telling them it is a 10 minute change and they were too stupid or inflexible to override it).

Definitely love/hate relationship with TK

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Let me add. Next time you have a schedule change of more than 15 min with TK, don't accept it right away! Let it be because until you accept it you have the flexibility to rebook or even cancel the ticket for free as this is considered invol. rebooking or cancellation due to sch.change. The moment you accept the retimed flight you loose this flexibility (and any cancellation or rebooking will have to be made according to ticket rules, i.e. is going to cost you). You may even change destination or origin within the same zone when you have a invol. schedule change like this.

The TK rebooking rules when you have a cancellation or invol. schedule change are very generous so no need to accept a retimed flight quickly.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 7:00 pm

Thanks for this great tip. I have a "schedule change" on a TK-operated award booked with TK miles, however the extent of the change is only that the duration of the flight has been shortened by 30 minutes. The app offers me the option to change for free. However, when I click "Change Flight" in the app and enter surnames, the next screen does not show any passengers to select and I can't proceed. At the moment there are no better options, so I will stay put, but I have a couple concerns that hopefully someone can address:
  • I previously had seat assignments but I don't see any way to verify they remain or whether they were lost as a result of the schedule change. An agent claimed they weren't able to see any info related to the itinerary until the changes were accepted. I don't want to accept the changes because I am hoping that prior to departure a better option (on a partner) opens up and I can make that change without charge. But, we are 2 pax traveling so we do care somewhat about our original seat assignments.
  • Second, the miles used to ticket this award had an expiration date of 31 Dec 2023. I think I'm fine to make any changes as long as I don't cancel the ticket and attempt to redeposit. Can anyone please confirm? And further, if we did cancel and attempt to redeposit, those 31 Dec 2023 miles would be lost and gone regardless of the schedule change (i.e. no extension is granted if an award is canceled without charge due to schedule change).
Thanks!

Free change offered

Pax info entered

Can't get further to browse alternative flights
Old Jan 11, 2024, 12:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect from the Information Desk.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jan 11, 2024, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) Any seats assigned should be clearly visable in the TK app or website. For minor schedule changes, TK will not (invol) rebook to a partner flight if there are still reasonable TK flights to your destination. You can invol. rebook to other TK flights.

2) You can rebook despite the miles used had expiry date 31 Dec. 2023 - as long as you don't cancel the award to have the miles redesposited.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 4:43 am

1) Any seats assigned should be clearly visable in the TK app or website. For minor schedule changes, TK will not (invol) rebook to a partner flight if there are still reasonable TK flights to your destination. You can invol. rebook to other TK flights.
Thank you. I am not able to see seat assignments so something must be amiss.

This is an award, so you are saying that even if a saver level award opens up on a partner with the same effective “price” (ie no additional mileage collection), they still wouldn’t rebook without fee under the schedule change re-accommodation? If that’s the case, it sounds like my best course of action is to accept the changes, confirm the seats are sorted, and then just pay the $70/pax change fee if/when a better parter option opens up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.