Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Finding widebody flights LAX to RSW (severe motion sickness)

Old Jan 21, 23, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

This will seem crazy. I get bad motion sickness - not mitigated by meds. Sitting close to front helps but biggest help is a widebody (more stable).

question: how to search? Spent hours googling lists, seems only way is to search every possible combination.

Because of this Ill fly any airline, even if departure or destination airport is 100 miles out of my way. Id also be ok with short narrow body if it connects to a longer 777/787/767/A350 leg.
Old Today, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Have you considered flying AA LAX-MIA, there's usually at least one widebody per day on that route, and then driving to RSW?
Old Today, 9:01 am

Programs: UA
MCO also sees widebodies occasionally. If you want to see which routes will have widebodies and when, airlines publish information for people who do cargo operations, and if you can find these, they will list widebody routes. For example, for United, Flight and Truck Schedules, and then you scroll down, you'll be able to download the widebody schedule.
Old Today, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
Have you considered flying AA LAX-MIA, there's usually at least one widebody per day on that route, and then driving to RSW?
This is what you should do. AA's current schedule has four LAX-MIA flights a day operated by 787 and 777 widebody aircraft:
AA 362 departing 9:05am (787), AA1385 departing at 1:50pm (787), AA2712, departing at 10:10pm (787) and AA340 (777) departing at 11:15.

when looking at flights on the AA website, the result list that's shown when searching for flights displays aircraft types:

AA LAX_MIA widebody flights

The good thing about this route and AA is that there's more than one widebody flight a day, so you can get reaccommodated on another widebody flight even if there were any issues with your original flight, or it's getting downgauged between booking and flying.
When flying Europe-LAX with my dog, I went either EU-JFK-LAX to catch the premium transcon A321T or EU-MIA-LAX on one of the widebody departures as that meant I`d be saved the cramped "domestic F" experience on the narrowbody fleet.
The 787 is much quieter and better damped than the 777, I`d go for one of those.
Be aware that some AA 788 and 772 are equipped with backwards-facing business-class seats I don't know how that may or may not affect motion sickness.

You'd get the least amount of lateral movement when seated near the center of gravity. ON AA widebodies, I`d say the front of the Premium Economy cabin is the best spot there. edit: check here for seat maps that show this: https://www.aerolopa.com/aa-boeing-787-seat-plans and https://www.aerolopa.com/aa-boeing-777-seat-plans

If money is no object (and you can wait a bit for the summer schedule - the DXB-Florida flights currently are 777), take the long way and use Emirates LAX-DXB-MIA/MCO. The A 380 is the king of the hill as far as motion-adverse people and flying go....

beckoa likes this.

Last edited by bhomburg; Today at 4:00 pm
Old Today, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

I should have posted here originally! 4 websites later I found someone who gets it.

This is the solutionproblem is that in April and May all of these flights switch to an Airbus 321neo (narrow body, and a light one at that).

I either need to wait or convince my parents to let me visit them in Boston. Boston I have a solve: LAX-EWR on United has 2-3 787s per day. Yes means renting a car but theyre 90 min south of Boston anyway and Id drive 5 hours happily to be in a bigger plane. Its that bad. Im sure you know BOS from SoCal has only narrow bodies. Same with all closer Northeast airports save for JFK (DL, 767).

Thank you for the thoughtful reply! Let me know if I am missing somethingbesides having a screw loose for being so fixated on getting sick, but I really do.

yes checked Orlando but not in spring. Its funny i found the cargo listing but it feels out of date. A lot of the 777 routes it published changed. I think its probably effective only for a month or so after publication.

Originally Posted by angetenar View Post
MCO also sees widebodies occasionally. If you want to see which routes will have widebodies and when, airlines publish information for people who do cargo operations, and if you can find these, they will list widebody routes.

Last edited by beckoa; Today at 8:28 pm Reason: merge consecuritve posts
Old Today, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
~

Thorvitz, welcome to the Information Desk and Flyertalk.

Glad you are getting some answers here. Thanks for following up. Lots of great information and knowledge on this site!

Search this Thread