Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Best way to redeem flight to China

Old Jan 4, 23, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Hi newbie here!

Wonder what's the best way to redeem mileage/points for flights to China? The quarantine will end in 1/8 and im hoping to go back to see some family members. Also if there is a tool that I can use to search for award travel, that will be great!

Thank you for all the suggestions in advance.
Old Jan 4, 23, 8:13 pm
Community Director

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Where do you have points and how many?
Old Jan 4, 23, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nellyvile View Post
Hi newbie here!

Wonder what's the best way to redeem mileage/points for flights to China? The quarantine will end in 1/8 and im hoping to go back to see some family members. Also if there is a tool that I can use to search for award travel, that will be great!

Thank you for all the suggestions in advance.
And from where? Will be many others wanting to do the same.
If you have freq flyer miles/points/avios you can only redeem via that frequent flyer program (ffp).
Points with a credit card can at times be moved to different ffp's

A guide to cost -->https://www.awardhacker.com/
But does not include all ffp's and airlines or the detailed award rules.
And does *not* consider or find availability.
Old Jan 5, 23, 8:02 am

Programs: UA
Saver awards will be scarce as people will be willing to shell out $$$ to go to China. For example, UA 857 SFO-PVG in economy starts at more than 200k miles, with premium economy at 500k and business at 700k.
Old Jan 6, 23, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

I have points in Amex, Chase, United, Marriot. Status in United and Krisflyer. Would prefer to fly business if the conversion is good!

I'm flying from San Francisco but open to fly out of LAX/Seattle since it is a short domestic flight. Destination is NKG or PVG.
Thank you so much in advance. I accrue a lot of points from traveling for work but never know how to use them.
Old Jan 6, 23, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have points in Amex, Chase, United, Marriot. Status in United and Krisflyer. Would prefer to fly business if the conversion is good!

I'm flying from San Francisco but open to fly out of LAX/Seattle since it is a short domestic flight. Destination is NKG or PVG.
Thank you so much
So what have you found using UA ff miles (Star Alliance)?
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=SFO-PVG...SU=kts&RS=best
Credit card transfer links.
Some airline ffp's take a dim view of people joining, immediately transferring in points from a credit card and then redeeming for business class awards
Old Jan 8, 23, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the Amex MR thread

I have about 130k MR points and would love to transfer the points out + close the account. usually fly to China/Asia from SFO. Any suggestion? I'm debating with Aeroplan (seem like decent amount of award flights), Krisflyer (seems that there is very little award flights), and ANA. Have status with United.
Old Jan 21, 23, 8:28 pm

You may find much better flight availability flying to HKG first, then either enter China via Shenzhen, and fly to PVG/NKG from there, or purchase a separate ticket from HKG-PVG/NKG.

Search this Thread