Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Baggage collection for 36h layover in Japan ?

Old Jan 4, 23, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm flying from Toronto on 10th Feb 2022, and having 3 legs :
- Toronto - San Francisco, transit 5h
- SF - Haneda, transit 36h
- Haneda - Ho Chi Minh

The trip includes 2 transit, at SF 5h and at Haneda more than one-day.

Can I ask the following questions :

1. Do I need to collect the luggage at SF and re-checkin ? I learned that US does not have sterile transit, and you need to clear custom. How about luggage ? Do I need to take out, clear control and re-checkin luggage ?
2. Same question at HND ? It is a long layover more than 1 day. I wish for the luggage to stay in the airport. Any experience ?

Thank you.
Old Jan 8, 23, 10:32 pm

1. I can't say with 100% certainly, but I believe you will have to collect and re-check. BUT it's not as bad as you might think. Upon retrieving luggage from the belt, you only have to walk maybe 100 yards to a special area that's been designated for re-checks. Just ask at your airline's luggage counter at SFO, and they'll help you out.
2. You can store your luggage either at HND's coin lockers or at the luggage storage counter. Keep in mind that timing matters, since the luggage storage counter has limited hours. Just google "haneda luggage storage", and one of the first links has all the info you need for this.
Good luck!
Old Jan 8, 23, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

orion216 Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by orion216 View Post
I'm flying from Toronto on 10th Feb 2022, and having 3 legs :
- Toronto - San Francisco, transit 5h
- SF - Haneda, transit 36h
- Haneda - Ho Chi Minh

The trip includes 2 transit, at SF 5h and at Haneda more than one-day.

Can I ask the following questions :

1. Do I need to collect the luggage at SF and re-checkin ? I learned that US does not have sterile transit, and you need to clear custom. How about luggage ? Do I need to take out, clear control and re-checkin luggage ?
2. Same question at HND ? It is a long layover more than 1 day. I wish for the luggage to stay in the airport. Any experience?
All 3 flights on the same ticket? Or separate tickets?
That will determine if bags are interlined.

For the 36hrs in Japan expect you will need collect bags. 24hrs is the normal limit.
And you will need the documentation, passport etc to enter Japan. Check the Japanese requirements.

USA has pre clearance at Toronto. So immigration & customs done before departure in Canada. Arrive in USA as a domestic passenger. You will need a visa depending on passport. As noted USA does not have the concept of transit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...r_preclearance
Old Jan 8, 23, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Kai. Good to know the option of storage.

I'm not much concerned about where to keep and recheck luggage. I'm more concerned about custom clearance, especially at Japan where my stuffs can be thrown away. Checking out and recheck-in means luggage pass through custom, safety, health, plan control if I'm not wrong.

I have pickled olive, still quite green, with seeds, not in original container. I put it in a 1.5l water bottle, water removed to be lighter. Any experience ? Do they consider "plant" or "fruit", something that can still grow ? It's a specialty carried from France as gift, I wouldn't want them to be thrown away. Should I fill it with water after taking out the luggage, before custom, to make it look like pickled ?

Also, from your experience, what make you think I may need to check out at Japan ?
Old Jan 8, 23, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

@mwen same ticket, but with different airlines with code share, United and ANA.
You are right, normally I won't mind the transit. But this case has US and 36h at Japan, which mess up all the custom, visa, luggage check through.
I was aware of US not having sterile transit, but then was thrown back when talking to United.
Called United and Toronto, emailed ANA, everyone tells a different story.
United : SF you can "transit" and no need luggage recheck ??? Any thought
Toronto : Same ticket so Japan will also check through
ANA : No answer

The reason of my concern is for luggage content when coming to Japan. Collecting luggage and re-checkin mean custom, safety, health, plan control.
I have pickled olive, still quite green, with seeds, not in original container. I put it in a 1.5l water bottle, water removed to be lighter. Is it still ok ? Do they consider "plant" or "fruit", something that can still grow ? It's a specialty carried from France as gift, I wouldn't want them to be thrown away.
Old Jan 12, 23, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist
You will have to declare the pickled olives at Toronto during US pre-clearance. Some food items are considered Ok and you may be allowed to take them to the US, but others aren’t and you may need to discard them.

as others have stated, when you arrive from Toronto to SFO, since you are already pre-cleared, you won’t have to collect baggage and the airline should be able to check it through.

The 36 hour transit in Japan will likely mean you will need to collect your baggage. The longest I’ve personally been able to get an airline to interline my luggage is 24 hours. Some countries are very strict about food items (e.g. Australia), while others aren’t too picky. I don’t recall anything specific about bringing food items into Japan so maybe you’ll be OK but best to check the official guidance.

Search this Thread