Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Critique my summer travel plans

Old Nov 23, 22, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

We are a family of 6 (2 parents, 7, 4 and 2 year old kids and our nanny) and I'm looking to book award travel next summer. I figured I would put this out to the experts here and see what their thoughts are and if I'm missing something.

Current available miles:
- 600k with Chase
- 700k with Citi
- 300k with Capital One

The 2 places we would like to go are Antalya (where nanny is from to see her family) and Manchester, UK (where I'm from). Originating from LAX.

Thinking of either booking the Singapore flight from IAH to MAN and then fly back to LAX from AYT with Turkish airlines, or do it in reverse. Flights between Europe we can book separately. This does leave me having to go to IAH (or back from IAH) on a separate ticket and we run the risk of misconnecting.

So...rough plan would be to fly LAX-IST-AYT then MAN-IAH-LAX back, but we might spend a few weeks there so could fly to or originate from anywhere in Europe if it's cheaper.

A few questions:
- If I misconnect at IAH because they are on separate tickets will United be willing to put us on the next flight
- What happens if Singapore cancels this flight? Krisflyer miles are pretty useless to me
- My preference is to book 3 of us in business (my wife 2 year old and I) using miles and the nanny and older kids in economy using miles or cash. For those who travel with kids what am I missing - am I making a mistake here?
- Are there any cheaper airports in Europe (OTP?) that we should consider flying in and out of?

Lastly, given all the complexity and options here should I just be using an award booking service and can you recommend one with a reasonable fee for 6 of us?

Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 25, 22, 12:47 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by HGPilot View Post
A few questions:
- If I misconnect at IAH because they are on separate tickets will United be willing to put us on the next flight
- What happens if Singapore cancels this flight? Krisflyer miles are pretty useless to me
- My preference is to book 3 of us in business (my wife 2 year old and I) using miles and the nanny and older kids in economy using miles or cash. For those who travel with kids what am I missing - am I making a mistake here?
- Are there any cheaper airports in Europe (OTP?) that we should consider flying in and out of?

Lastly, given all the complexity and options here should I just be using an award booking service and can you recommend one with a reasonable fee for 6 of us?

Thanks for your help.
- If you were to misconnect at IAH on separate tickets, UA would not be obligated to rebook you. Is it possible? Anything is possible, but I would say it's extremely unlikely. You may want to build a large gap of time between your two sets of flights.
- If SQ cancels the flight, they would give you a refund, which would be miles that expire within three years of hitting your account (with no way of extending them). SQ can rebook you on *A flights if there's award space, but they have no special access to space on the other airlines that would fly this routing.
- I can't speak to your children or their appetite for extra flights, but I would seriously consider whether your goal should be to save money by flying to another airport or to make your flying experience as easy as possible.
Old Nov 25, 22, 4:36 am

Programs: TK Elite
Skip AYT, full of Russians now and the prices have gone through the roof.
Old Nov 27, 22, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Skip AYT, full of Russians now and the prices have gone through the roof.
Plus likely boiling in summer. The kids will like the all-in hotels though. I'd start looking at options to gateways and focus on direct flights to Europe from LAX. The quicker you get there the better. Within Europe travel is typically cheap. With kids that young I suggest limit moving around. The UK can be very kid friendly.

Last edited by erik123; Nov 27, 22 at 12:36 pm
Old Nov 27, 22, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

We would be going to a small town near Antalya since that's where our nanny is from and we'd meet the family so hopefully we'll avoid the crowds. Has anyone every traveled in a different class than their young kids? Wondering if having the nanny, 8 and 6 year old (at the time of travel) travel in Y while we are in J is a mistake...
Old Nov 28, 22, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by HGPilot View Post
We would be going to a small town near Antalya since that's where our nanny is from and we'd meet the family so hopefully we'll avoid the crowds. Has anyone every traveled in a different class than their young kids? Wondering if having the nanny, 8 and 6 year old (at the time of travel) travel in Y while we are in J is a mistake...
We never did. My preference would be all together in PE with kids that young if business not available. Short flight and transatlantic all in Y is no problem in my view. Red-eyes are almost always in business - but if not possible the simplest, quickest route across the pond with the best timings possible.

If with nanny I don't see an issue but I would keep it simple with the minimum number of stops.

Search this Thread