FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Need help using points for miles (Europe/Thailand/Costa Rica) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/2093443-need-help-using-points-miles-europe-thailand-costa-rica.html)

Chris Eddlemon Sep 6, 2022 8:16 pm

Need help using points for miles (Europe/Thailand/Costa Rica)

Hello,

This is my first post, so please bear with me if im posting this in the wrong spot.

I am hoping to go to Thailand or Costa Rica, with a departure from Denver, CO (DEN). I have 550k Amex MR points and 125k Chase reward points.
Departure Date: Oct 8th-9th
Return: Oct 20-23 (flexible)

Mwenenzi Sep 6, 2022 8:21 pm

Chris Eddlemon Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Chris Eddlemon (Post 34578795)
This is my first post, so please bear with me if im posting this in the wrong spot.

I am hoping to go to Thailand or Costa Rica, with a departure from Denver, CO (DEN). I have 550k Amex MR points and 125k Chase reward points.
Departure Date: Oct 8th-9th
Return: Oct 20-23 (flexible)

A month out can make it hard for awards.
What class of travel?
What research have you done yourself on airline ffp's that could get the trip you want?
What ffp's are you a member of now? How many ff miles/points? Status?

Credit card transfer links

Chris Eddlemon Sep 6, 2022 8:26 pm

A month out can make it hard for awards.
What class of travel?
(open to any, but preferably business/first)

What research have you done yourself on airline ffp's that could get the trip you want?
I am in a few groups where we have talked about this for a while but haven't gained the hands-on experience. I have found the flights I'm interested in along with the airlines involved just not sure the next steps.
What ffp's are you a member of now? How many ff miles/points? Status?
AA, Alaska, Delta, Spirit (not many miles here) mainly relying on my credit card points (Amex = 550k and Chase = 123k)

guv1976 Sep 6, 2022 8:49 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

On October 8, United (a Chase transfer partner) is showing Economy Class award seats from DEN to BKK, connecting in either London or Frankfurt. Pricing is reasonable: about 44K miles plus $13-$56, depending on exact routing. Premium Economy is available for 140K miles!

I did not check return flight availability.

Also on the 8th, United has an early morning flight from DEN to Liberia, CR, connecting in Houston. Economy is 40K miles plus $23; Business is 75K miles plus $23. There are lower-mileage options in Economy that depart later, but each has an overnight connection in Houston.

Chris Eddlemon Sep 6, 2022 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 34578873)
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

On October 8, United (a Chase transfer partner) is showing Economy Class award seats from DEN to BKK, connecting in either London or Frankfurt. Pricing is reasonable: about 44K miles plus $13-$56, depending on exact routing. Premium Economy is available for 140K miles!

I did not check return flight availability.

Also on the 8th, United has an early morning flight from DEN to Liberia, CR, connecting in Houston. Economy is 40K miles plus $23; Business is 75K miles plus $23. There are lower-mileage options in Economy that depart later, but each has an overnight connection in Houston.

Are you seeing these options on United's site?
Also, thank you very much for looking this up

guv1976 Sep 6, 2022 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Chris Eddlemon (Post 34578884)
Are you seeing these options on United's site?
Also, thank you very much for looking this up

Yes, united.com.

And you're welcome!

Chris Eddlemon Sep 7, 2022 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 34578897)
Yes, united.com.

And you're welcome!

If I were to be able to travel anywhere, just want to see deals with the points that I am able to use, where should I start?

erik123 Sep 8, 2022 1:04 am

Just check google flights for fares. Low fares usually indicates low milage.

Chris Eddlemon Sep 8, 2022 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by erik123 (Post 34582401)
Just check google flights for fares. Low fares usually indicates low milage.

Lets say I see the flights offered by random airlines, at that point once I have found the flights im interested in whats the best way to find the partner portals who you can use miles with?

Mwenenzi Sep 8, 2022 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Chris Eddlemon (Post 34584528)
Lets say I see the flights offered by random airlines, at that point once I have found the flights I'm interested in what's the best way to find the partner portals who you can use miles with?

If an airline is selling a flight for cash that does not mean awards seats are definitely available with ff miles. They may be or may not be awards seats on that flight.
Look at the links is post 2
A basic guides to ff partners here-->https://www.wheretocredit.com/ Check the details for each airlines ffp.
Some airlines/freq flyer partners take a dim view of newbie's signing up, transferring in points from credit cards to build a stash of ff miles and immediately claiming premium cabin awards.

trooper Sep 9, 2022 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Chris Eddlemon (Post 34578823)
I have found the flights I'm interested in along with the airlines involved just not sure the next steps.

Just to clarify....... When you say you have "found the flights" do you mean you have found flights with award availability OR just that you have found flights you would like to take? As Mwenenzi points out seats being sold is no indication of award seats being up for grabs...

Chris Eddlemon Sep 9, 2022 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 34585271)
Just to clarify....... When you say you have "found the flights" do you mean you have found flights with award availability OR just that you have found flights you would like to take? As Mwenenzi points out seats being sold is no indication of award seats being up for grabs...

im totally new to this so thank you for the clarifying question.

I found the flights I’m interested in but then would want to see if there are award options.

the other thing I’d love to learn how to do is find deals to go anywhere (assuming I could depart and arrive anywhere, just want good deals for business class)

I did check out that wheretocredit site but I need to learn class codes to use that, which I’ll do

guv1976 Sep 9, 2022 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Chris Eddlemon (Post 34586996)
the other thing I’d love to learn how to do is find deals to go anywhere (assuming I could depart and arrive anywhere, just want good deals for business class)

The FlyerTalk Premium Fare Deals sub-forum is a good place to look for good Business Class fares:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/