Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Newbie here: some advice for European traveler on points and business class?

Old Aug 11, 22, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: vladciurca

Hi everyone, for some reason i'm way late to this game and remembered some friends said this is the go to place for finding great deals on business class and so much more.

I'm based in Transylvania, Romania and have a few questions as i travel quite a bit:

1. Are there any good Europe to US deals on business class? For some reason, on the Premium Deals forum it seems mostly from US to Europe ... or i don't know how to properly search

2. Since i'm once or twice in the US, is it worth for me to collect miles on JetBlue, AA, Delta, etc? From what i saw they don't expire, but we also don't have any European credit cards which can provide extra miles on these airlines as far as i know.

If there's anything else (forums, threads) a newbie should be keeping an eye on, i'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!
Old Aug 11, 22, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Congratulations on your first post!

1. In this sub-forum, I see some good fares originating in Budapest, Rome, Stockholm, and Madrid:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/

2. Whether you should credit any of your flights to a U.S.-based program or to a foreign one depends upon a lot of different factors. Different programs can earn earn different amounts of points/miles for the very same flights. Similarly, different programs can charge different amounts of points/miles (and cash surcharges, too,) for the same redemptions. Also, if earning elite status is important to you, the very same flights can get you closer to attaining status in some programs, compared to others.

Good luck.
Old Aug 11, 22, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by vladciurca
<snip>
2. Since i'm once or twice in the US, is it worth for me to collect miles on JetBlue, AA, Delta, etc? From what i saw they don't expire, but we also don't have any European credit cards which can provide extra miles on these airlines as far as I know.
<snip>
Look here, as a guide. But check the rules-->Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire
  • With some frequent flyer programs the ff miles/points never expire. Like JetBlue, Delta & United
  • With some frequent flyer programs need eligible activity at least very X months to keep ff miles/points alive. Like AA
  • With some frequent flyer programs the ff miles/points will expire after X months (hard expiry). Like SQ and EK(unless top status)
Most USA and some other ffp's are morphing into frequent spender programs.

A very general guide--->https://www.wheretocredit.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_alliance
Old Aug 12, 22, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much @guv1976. Very helpful.

I guess i'm not yet used to airport codes and searching is not super obvious, but i'll recall the main hubs and search based on that.
Old Aug 12, 22, 9:18 am
Original Poster

@Mwenenzi thank you, will definitely use that tool
Old Aug 12, 22, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks so much @guv1976. Very helpful.

I guess i'm not yet used to airport codes and searching is not super obvious, but i'll recall the main hubs and search based on that.
You're welcome!

Can you give us some idea as to what price you would consider a "good deal" for a Europe-U.S. roundtrip in Business Class?
Old Aug 15, 22, 3:27 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
1. There are many C2-C1 deals in business class, but you would need to position yourself to other airports around C2. CLJ almost never has any deals
2. Since CLJ is a Star Alliance prisoner, you should try to collect miles in a programme that belongs to that alliance. In Romania, you only have the BT Flying Blue credit card to collect airline miles with, so if you see yourself flying a lot with AF/KL from BUD, OTP or CLJ(via OTP), then that might be the right programme for you. Tarom also collects the same type of miles.

I really don't see the point in collecting miles with a US programme considering your location.
Old Aug 15, 22, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
You're welcome!

Can you give us some idea as to what price you would consider a "good deal" for a Europe-U.S. roundtrip in Business Class?
Great question @guv1976 Is something around 1.5 - 2k considered a good deal?

Originally Posted by Deckter
1. There are many C2-C1 deals in business class, but you would need to position yourself to other airports around C2. CLJ almost never has any deals
2. Since CLJ is a Star Alliance prisoner, you should try to collect miles in a programme that belongs to that alliance. In Romania, you only have the BT Flying Blue credit card to collect airline miles with, so if you see yourself flying a lot with AF/KL from BUD, OTP or CLJ(via OTP), then that might be the right programme for you. Tarom also collects the same type of miles.

I really don't see the point in collecting miles with a US programme considering your location.
@Deckter: thanks for the great insights on the Flying Blue and CLJ. I'm actually based in Cluj, so it looks like i'm better off looking for deals from OTP?

Also, do you mind sharing why C2-C1 deals are? haven't been able to find these terms in the glossary
Old Aug 15, 22, 7:37 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Great question @guv1976 Is something around 1.5 - 2k considered a good deal?

@Deckter: thanks for the great insights on the Flying Blue and CLJ. I'm actually based in Cluj, so it looks like i'm better off looking for deals from OTP?

Also, do you mind sharing why C2-C1 deals are? haven't been able to find these terms in the glossary
Cu plcere

C1-C6 are the continents that have scheduled passenger services. C2 being Europe and C1 being North America.

I would compare the prices between CLJ, OTP and BUD. From my experience, BUD has the best prices, but sometimes they are very similar so having the comfort of flying out of your home airport all on one ticket, which gives you protection against IRROPS, is worth, let's say 100-200€ price difference.

I would say anything under 1500€(used to be around 1200€) is a good deal to the US, as from CLJ and OTP you can fly for around 1800-2000€ to the US pretty much anytime.
vladciurca likes this.
Old Aug 15, 22, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Madrid to Miami, Florida, currently available for $1,299 USD roundtrip in Business on TAP Air Portugal. (Star Alliance)

Budapest to Honolulu, Hawaii, currently available for $1,696 USD roundtrip in Business on British Airways/American Airlines. (oneworld)

Both of these were priced as trips in February, 2023.
vladciurca likes this.
Old Aug 15, 22, 8:46 am

Hi everyone, for some reason i'm way late to this game and remembered some friends said this is the go to place for finding great deals on business class and so much more.
Just wanted to make sure you were aware of decent tools for shopping for fares:
  • Google Flights: Use the "Explore" option and choose business fares from BUD (or other) to United States and you get a map with lowest business fares to US cities for the chosen dates
  • Skyscanner: Not as generically useful, but if you have a target city in the US, then you can search for business class fares between your departure city. For economy fares, this works much better.
vladciurca likes this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, all super helpful suggestions! It seems i missed a lot by not being on this forum for such a long time.

And even though i used Google Flights, i didn't know about that very cool explore feature to find low business class fares.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.