FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Transiting Narita standby with checked baggage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/2084563-transiting-narita-standby-checked-baggage.html)

Shuttleman Jun 26, 2022 10:42 am

Transiting Narita standby with checked baggage

Has anybody tried to transit Narita on Standby with checked baggage since Japan cancelled their Visa Exemption program?

Before, you had to exit via immigration to claim and recheck baggage. I'm not sure what you do now without a Japan Visa.

Shuttleman Jun 26, 2022 11:15 am

PCR test

The exemption to PCR test for Japan is if you transit the same day

SK AAR Jun 27, 2022 11:22 am

I think the real issue is if the airline will allow the OP to board without a confirmed flight from NTR, i.e. the OP will never find him/her-self on the flight to NRT.

Shuttleman Jun 27, 2022 11:31 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 34374216)
I think the real issue is if the airline will allow the OP to board without a confirmed flight from NTR, i.e. the OP will never find him/her-self on the flight to NRT.

Shuttleman Jun 27, 2022 11:34 am

Boarding.

No, AA will board you and even check bags to Narita once they know there are seats available. The ?? Is... How to recheck them in Narita now under the new Immigration rule requiring Japan Visa

SK AAR Jun 27, 2022 11:44 pm

But Sir, AA can't check bags to NRT unless you are eligible to enter JPN; that is why I see a risk that either AA will refuse to tags to NRT only or even refuse to bring you to NRT because you don't have a (confirmed) onward flight.

But anyway I'm just guessing; not first hand experience with standby tickets and how they are dealt with. Good luck!

Do let us know how you solved this/how is plays out at NRT.

MSPeconomist Jun 29, 2022 11:11 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 34376048)
But Sir, AA can't check bags to NRT unless you are eligible to enter JPN; that is why I see a risk that either AA will refuse to tags to NRT only or even refuse to bring you to NRT because you don't have a (confirmed) onward flight.

But anyway I'm just guessing; not first hand experience with standby tickets and how they are dealt with. Good luck!

Do let us know how you solved this/how is plays out at NRT.

Even with only carry on items, I would expect an airline to refuse to board a passenger who doesn't have documents to enter the destination on the ticket (if separate tickets) of the destination airport of the last confirmed segment.

Unless the standby for the flight from NRT clears before boarding ends for the flight to NRT, I don't think this will work, even with no checked bags.

Before COVID-19, could someone fly standby without travel documents sufficient to enter the country of each connection airport? For instance, could a USA citizen without a Russian visa fly standby on a route with a connection at SVO?

Shuttleman Jun 29, 2022 12:39 pm

the question was....

I was Asking if anyone had recent experience.....