Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Can you cancel a flight if you can't leave the destination airport to your hotel?

Can you cancel a flight if you can't leave the destination airport to your hotel?

Old Jun 14, 22, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

I've never had to really use airline cancellation policies, and the only flights I've had to skip have been <$150 ones.

My partner is trying to come visit me in Ecuador in a few weeks. If you didn't know, there have been really huge strikes here of the interprovincial highway workers. They're mostly around Quito (where we won't be), but they're expanding.

I asked a friend just how "closed" the highways are (if you catch my drift), and he showed me videos of people burning tires at the toll gates and basically making it impossible and dangerous to enter. It's apparently restricting transportation of food and everything already, and the strikers insist they will not stop until their demands are met (that's another story we don't need to cover here please!).

My question is - say she books a flight down here, to either UIO or GYE, which are both served by highways. If the highways necessary to leave the airport become blocked before she boards, will the airline generally cancel the flight? For this reason alone I'm not risking helping her do separate itineraries with different airlines (I sometimes do Delta to UIO then a regional flight). Would she have to do refundable fares or - what I hate the most - airline solicited trip insurance?

With flight prices so damn high lately, it would flat out suck to drop $1k+ on an economy flight with 1-2 stops, only to sit at a tiny airport for the 5 days she's here. Probably sucky enough that I'd take a friend's motorcycle and "find a way" past the highway toll booths regardless

Appreciate any thoughts to hopefully help us avoid a waste of a trip!

PS I know she could get a regional flight to CUE (where I am basically stuck because of the strikes), but she has never been here, and was hoping to show her around the country a little.
Old Jun 15, 22, 2:19 am

Programs: TK Elite
Unless the airline issues a waiver for the destination, there is no chance that you will be allowed to cancel for free - any cancellation or rebooking will be according to fare rules.

This is to be discussed with travel insurance, but I would not get my hopes too high unless there is a travel warning issued.
bigmillz likes this.
Old Jun 15, 22, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Unless the airline issues a waiver for the destination, there is no chance that you will be allowed to cancel for free - any cancellation or rebooking will be according to fare rules.

This is to be discussed with travel insurance, but I would not get my hopes too high unless there is a travel warning issued.
I figured as much - thanks for your input
Old Jun 15, 22, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
What are the local news authorities currently reporting on the airport situations? I'm sure there are people that have arrived/departed and you could use that as an idea regarding your partners situation.
Me personally, if things are like you've described, I would not want her to visit until things stabilized.
bigmillz likes this.
Old Jun 16, 22, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arollins View Post
What are the local news authorities currently reporting on the airport situations? I'm sure there are people that have arrived/departed and you could use that as an idea regarding your partners situation.
Me personally, if things are like you've described, I would not want her to visit until things stabilized.
Not a terrible idea. It's spreading and looking kinda grim here. Hopefully the situation is resolved soon, if nothing other than so I'm not stuck here indefinitely.

Wonder if Amex concierge can still get people out of high risk countries in a chopper
Old Jun 19, 22, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are different kinds of roads in Ecuador. Are all of the airports served directly by the interprovincial highways you mention? If the roads to get in and out of the airport are city or local jurisdiction roads, then the interprovincial highways strike won't affect them, it'll only affect which route you can take once you get out of the airport.

So you need to look into which kinds of highways they're striking against, and don't assume that it's all of them. Then once you figure out which kind of highways aren't affected, you may be able to plot alternate routes, even if they're not nearly as efficient as the interprovincial highway route.

Plus you need to figure out when and for how long these events that shut down certain highways are happening. (Just random pictures meant to scare you don't provide enough information.) In most places, strike actions don't happen 24/7, they happen at certain times of day (they may be timed for the biggest effect, for example, such as during peak driving times if it's a highway workers strike). So if you can just wait it out, that might be another option.
arollins likes this.
Old Jun 19, 22, 8:44 pm

FYI refundable fares are now often sold by airlines for a small uncharge. You no longer need to buy up to full fare for that.
I don't know your friend's exact dates, but plugging in July 12 - July 19 ATL - UIO as an example, it's $1141 for the non-stop flight on Delta and $1231 for the same flight Fully Refundable to Your Original Form of Payment (not flight credit).

Same dates on AA, MIA-UIO on a non-stop, it's $780 for Main Cabin and an extra $50 to make it fully refundable.

Old Jun 22, 22, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I think United is now offering waivers for the situation in Quito

Search this Thread