FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Best way to ensure a delayed positioning flight doesn't ruin my trip? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/2082313-best-way-ensure-delayed-positioning-flight-doesnt-ruin-my-trip.html)

missnooni Jun 8, 2022 3:34 pm

Best way to ensure a delayed positioning flight doesn't ruin my trip?

Hello Information Desk! Need some help strategizing a flight and not really sure where to ask. Flying LAX-SIN-HKT (SQ Business Class ~10:30pm) later this year and will need to book a separate positioning flight from SEA-LAX (AS Economy probably). I will have a checked bag which complicates things a bit. I'm worried about delays/cancellations for the AS flight so I'm trying to figure out the best course of action to leave more than enough time to make the flight to HKT.

How soon before an international flight are you allowed to check a bag and go through the security checkpoint? My thinking was that I could land in LAX, pick up my checked bag, check it in for the international flight, and then spend a bunch of time in the Star Alliance Business Class Lounge in LAX (is there a time limit on how long you can stay?) Is this the best course of action or even feasible? I haven't purchased the SEA-LAX flight yet but there are lots of options throughout the day. How early would be good enough/too much? Ideally, I would not want to fly into LAX a night before and need to book a hotel room. Hope this rambling makes sense and thanks in advance!

arollins Jun 8, 2022 6:46 pm

Here is my though process. What does the LAX-SIN-HKT flight says about check-in? typically most international flights say you should be at the airport at least 3 hours, use that as a base regarding how late you should arrive at LAX, so 7:30PM. Since you'll have luggage, add an extra hour to get your luggage. We now have 4 hour window, so a 6:30pm LAX Arrival. See what AS flight can accommodate that, and also check the latter flights to see what time they land in case of problems and so forth. I see that AS has a 2PM, 4PM 7:40PM 9:10PM LAX arrivals, based on Nov 2 schedule, so that gives you an idea.

As for lounge, not sure how things are currently, but I doubt you'll have any problems hanging around for 3-4 hours until your flight. Good luck.

MSPeconomist Jun 11, 2022 6:47 am

Note that many airline's airport check in counters don't open until several hours before the flight. You probably don't want to plan to arrive long before you can check your bag and go airside at TBIT for the lounge.

Consider what your Plan B etc. would be if the flight you book to LAX is cancelled or delayed. Try to fly on a carrier/alliance on which you have status, Also check the (alliance in some cases) rules about whether partner airlines will protect you in IROPs across separate tickets.

I assume that your SQ ticket is one of the ones that loses all value if not flown exactly as written (check your fare rules) so that you can't even pay a fee to be rebooked onto the next day's flight.

How risk averse are you? How important is it that you make the SQ flight versus having a relatively short and comfortable wait at LAX?

If you don't have a lot of luggage, you could walk to one of the nearby airport hotels or go to the In-and-Out little park for plane spotting to kill some time if you decide to pick an early flight to LAX.