Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Two international tickets with 80k UA MP points + 75k Capital One points

Old Jun 6, 22, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Hi FlyerTalk, I'm looking to from from SFO -> FRA later on this year.

I have:
- 80k United Mileage Plus points
- 75k Capital One points (Venture X)

Is there any way I can pool together these points to book two RT tickets for the same flight?

I briefly checked out the Star Alliance transfer partners for Capital One (Avianca, Air Canada, Singapore) and they don't seem to offer the same flights as UA when I went with a paid option. E.g. Air Canada was offering its own flights from SFO -> YVR, then UA/Lufthansa for YVR -> FRA; whereas UA will fly nonstop.

Thanks!
Old Jun 6, 22, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wooly View Post
Hi FlyerTalk, I'm looking to from from SFO -> FRA later on this year.

I have:
- 80k United Mileage Plus points
- 75k Capital One points (Venture X)

Is there any way I can pool together these points to book two RT tickets for the same flight?

I briefly checked out the Star Alliance transfer partners for Capital One (Avianca, Air Canada, Singapore) and they don't seem to offer the same flights as UA when I went with a paid option. E.g. Air Canada was offering its own flights from SFO -> YVR, then UA/Lufthansa for YVR -> FRA; whereas UA will fly nonstop.
Have you looked at booking SFO-FRA one way with one lot of ff miles/points and FRA-SFO one way with the other. No advantage booking as a return.
https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=SFO&t...=1&c=y&s=1&p=1

And other airports instead of FRA. Trains in Germany are good.
A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
arollins likes this.
Old Jun 7, 22, 10:04 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
What Mwenenzi says. Don't look at booking round trip tickets, and search instead for one ways. That will allow you more flexibility of which carrier to use, and also perhaps use other return cities as well.
Good luck.
Old Jun 12, 22, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Have you looked at booking SFO-FRA one way with one lot of ff miles/points and FRA-SFO one way with the other. No advantage booking as a return.
https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=SFO&t...=1&c=y&s=1&p=1
Thank you for the advice! It's been more than two years since we've flown, so I've forgotten all the benefits that come with award travel. Just booked two pairs of one-ways between SFO and FRA. The Award Hacker site came in handy for figuring out transfer partners.
Mwenenzi likes this.

Search this Thread