Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

West Coast USA to Europe, business help?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

I promise I知 not asking for help without first having made myself cross eyed looking for availability!

I am new to the maximizing points game and new to business class, so im hoping to pick your brains a bit.

stats:

Departure airport: anywhere on the West Coast. I知 in Sacramento, Ca and my traveling partner is in East Idaho, so we already have to meet.

Arrival: just about anywhere in Europe. We can take a cheap flight to Granada, Spain, where we will be spending the bulk of our time.

when: nov. 19 preferred, maybe 20th. I know the lack of flexibility isn稚 ideal, but teacher schedules dictate the days 😬

what: one way business class for 2 people. I値l do premium economy on the way back.

points: I have about 118,000 in chase ultimate rewards, 30% transfer bonus if I use Virgin Atlantic, 25% with Flying Blue.

So, what big city combos am I missing in my availability search! Teach me, oh wise ones!

Last edited by KJDav22; May 4, 2022 at 11:33 pm
Old May 5, 2022, 1:28 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Best I can see for those dates would be SFO - Casablanca on United or Air France for $2800 round trip in Business (via Montreal or Paris respectively).
Old May 5, 2022, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KJDav22
I promise I’m not asking for help without first having made myself cross eyed looking for availability!
I am new to the maximizing points game and new to business class, so im hoping to pick your brains a bit.

stats:
Departure airport: anywhere on the West Coast. I’m in Sacramento, Ca and my traveling partner is in East Idaho, so we already have to meet.
Arrival: just about anywhere in Europe. We can take a cheap flight to Granada, Spain, where we will be spending the bulk of our time.
when: nov. 19 preferred, maybe 20th. I know the lack of flexibility isn’t ideal, but teacher schedules dictate the days 😬
what: one way business class for 2 people. I’ll do premium economy on the way back.
points: I have about 118,000 in chase ultimate rewards, 30% transfer bonus if I use Virgin Atlantic, 25% with Flying Blue.

So, what big city combos am I missing in my availability search! Teach me, oh wise ones!
Hoping for specific dates makes it harder with ff miles.
2 business awards on the same flights makes it harder
Awards can start to becomes available 353/300 days out (depending on the ffp), so you are late to the game start.
Or cash tickets?

What ff miles do you have now with the various freq flyer programs (before cc transfers)?

Credit card transfer links
Old May 5, 2022, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Or cash tickets?I知not opposed to a cash/mile combo or trying for an upgrade. But the $8,000-ish out of pocket is a bit steep for a teacher budget 😬

What ff miles do you have now with the various freq flyer programs (before cc transfers)?
Nothing worth speaking on, unfortunately.
Old May 5, 2022, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Best I can see for those dates would be SFO - Casablanca on United or Air France for $2800 round trip in Business (via Montreal or Paris respectively).

I知 only looking for one way, so that helps!

I値l look into that route! Thank you!
Old May 5, 2022, 3:30 am

I知 only looking for one way, so that helps!

I値l look into that route! Thank you!
So you are looking to PURCHASE a one way Business class fare over and a one way Premium Eco fare back? Separately? If that's correct you might find the fares horribly expensive. One way International flights tend to be very expensive... Of course you may be looking at a "mixed class" return ticket in which case..carry on... lol
Old May 5, 2022, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or cash tickets?
I’mnot opposed to a cash/mile combo or trying for an upgrade. But the $8,000-ish out of pocket is a bit steep for a teacher budget 😬

Nothing worth speaking on, unfortunately.
You have no hope of getting a ff upgrade. Other than full retail fare difference. Will be a long list of freq flyers with status ahead of you looking for upgrades.
USA and non USA airlines have very different upgrade polices

I’m only looking for one way, so that helps!
I’ll look into that route! Thank you!
So how are you getting back to USA? Ticket already booked?
One way flights can be very expensive. At times can be more than a return (but not always)
But keep looking!
Old May 5, 2022, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sometimes a cheap RT in business class costs less that one way in business class and the other direction in premium economy on the same flights for the same dates.

Also, some airlines offer RT award tickets that cost fewer miles than two OWs etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.