Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Family trip LAX - ICN need award help

Old May 1, 22, 11:55 am
Original Poster

I am starting to plan a trip for Nov 2022 from LAX to ICN. I am a "delta guy" with about 350,000 total miles between Amex and Delta. There are 5 of us traveling. I want two tickets in first and three in premium select. I know I don't have enough to cover it all - just looking for the best use of the miles I have.

I have not booked award travel for over 8 years and the game is so different now. Can someone point me to how to attack this planning? I know that sometimes it's good to transfer the miles to partner airlines that offer awards. Can someone point me in the right direction or offer any advise?
Old May 1, 22, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Steve28 View Post
I am starting to plan a trip for Nov 2022 from LAX to ICN. I am a "delta guy" with about 350,000 total miles between Amex and Delta. There are 5 of us traveling. I want two tickets in first and three in premium select. I know I don't have enough to cover it all - just looking for the best use of the miles I have.

I have not booked award travel for over 8 years and the game is so different now. Can someone point me to how to attack this planning? I know that sometimes it's good to transfer the miles to partner airlines that offer awards. Can someone point me in the right direction or offer any advise?
You can try researching this article for some insight using ANA points (via Amex):

https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/ai...usiness-class/
Old May 1, 22, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve28 View Post

Delta does not have international first class. Now days airlines/aircraft/routes with international first class are deceasing.
Have you flown long haul business class in a quality airline?. Most are better than first of a decade ago

You need to identify what "Delta Premium Select," actually means. Eliminate the airline specific jargon, and bring back to common airline terms.
  • Premium economy (a class between business & economy) Not all airlines/aircraft have PE
  • Economy with more legroom. No offered by all airlines/aircraft

What have you found when looking? 5 award seats on the same flight could be hard. Very hard. May need to split your party and travel on different days/routes

https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=Los%2...=1&c=y&s=1&p=1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incheo...tional_Airport DL flys to/from ICN from a number of USA airports.

Credit card transfer links

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 1, 22 at 3:04 pm
Old May 2, 22, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP needs to look at DL and KE flights. DL will require a lot of miles while KE releases very few premium cabin award seats.

One idea would be to try to get "mileage upgrade awards" for fixed numbers of miles (IIRC 40,000 in each direction) from PS to D1. Depending on your dates and length of stay (10+ days seems to be cheaper), DL RT TPAC PS fares can be reasonable.

BTW, PS = Premium Economy on DL. I've never been on a KE flight with a premium economy cabin, but KE might be in the process of adding it.

Also check seat configurations for any flights on KE aircraft you're considering. They use 2-2-2 or even 2-3-2 (hopefully only on regional flights) seating in business class, not 1-2-1 with 100% direct aisle access as DL has on all wide bodies.

Search this Thread