FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Why was my flight delayed? Help please. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/2076972-why-my-flight-delayed-help-please.html)

DebTwoHoots Apr 24, 2022 5:03 pm

Why was my flight delayed? Help please.

Can anyone help with this question?
We were due to fly CPT – FRA – BHX on 11 April 22 (LH577). I received numerous texts to say our flight had a 12 hour delay. No reason was given for the delay despite numerous requests for information. A message on the LH app said we have been rebooked due to a “flight irregularity”
Long story short I was eventually offered an alternative flight home 22 hours later (CPT – JNB – FRA – BHX) and I am trying to claim EU 261 compensation from LH for the 22 hour delay.

Is anyone able to research why this flight was delayed?
Thank you.

SK AAR Apr 25, 2022 6:50 am

Welcome to FT!

You should have posted your Q in the LH forum for better/more detailed response. However, you don't need to state why the flight was delayed in order to request EU Reg. 261/04 compensation from LH. Just submit a complaint on the LH webpage that that you were rerouted due to delay of LH 577 and that you arrived BHX 22 hours later than scheduled.

Be prepared that LH will most likely deny your claim (this appears to be the strategy of LH for most claims) and that you may have to reply firmly maintaining your claim. If the delay was caused by extraordinary circumstances, there is no right to compensation under the EU Regulation. LH will explain to you if this is the situation.

DebTwoHoots May 3, 2022 10:11 am

Thank you for your reply. Apologies if i posted on the wrong thread, I will learn for next time.

Thanks again

MSPeconomist May 3, 2022 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 34194417)
Welcome to FT!

You should have posted your Q in the LH forum for better/more detailed response. However, you don't need to state why the flight was delayed in order to request EU Reg. 261/04 compensation from LH. Just submit a complaint on the LH webpage that that you were rerouted due to delay of LH 577 and that you arrived BHX 22 hours later than scheduled.

Be prepared that LH will most likely deny your claim (this appears to be the strategy of LH for most claims) and that you may have to reply firmly maintaining your claim. If the delay was caused by extraordinary circumstances, there is no right to compensation under the EU Regulation. LH will explain to you if this is the situation.

Even if there's no compensation due, LH would have a duty of care. For a 22 hour delay, this would mean that LH pays for a hotel room and a couple meals, maybe a phone call too and transportation between hotel and airport.

SK AAR May 3, 2022 11:24 pm

I agree, but the OP inquired about EU 261/04 comp (rather than reimbursement of hotel, meals etc) so I limited my reply to this. But good point.