Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Flight search: coming home from abroad

Old Apr 23, 2022, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

I am aware of sites that allow you to indicate a specific airport and get a variety of prices for a variety of destinations on a certain date.

However, I want the OPPOSITE. I want to end up at MSP, but at the end of my adventures this summer I can return from a wide variety of (mostly European) destinations, and I may choose my itinerary based on what city I get the cheapest flight home from. (I already have our one-way Business flights lined up for getting there.)

Any sites that do this? SkyScanner and Google Flights and Kayak are my go-tos, and they're all busts.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One way TATL fares tend to be expensive, often more than a RT ticket. Assuming that you already purchased a nonrefundable ticket from MSP to Europe and bought it directly from the airline (not an OLTA), IMO you should investigate what it would cost to convert it to a RT or open jaw ticket using the same airline or its partners.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Not only does this not seem to be the case (OW more $ than RT, based on extensive fare hunting prior to my purchase - the legs were often the same price whether RT or OW), it's also very difficult to do business one way and economy return on the same ticket. Since we do not want the same itinerary to return, I prefer the flexibility of a separate ticket.

My question remains: is there a site or engine that does the opposite of the [cityX]-->[anywhere] search?
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Djanaba
Not only does this not seem to be the case (OW more $ than RT, based on extensive fare hunting prior to my purchase - the legs were often the same price whether RT or OW), it's also very difficult to do business one way and economy return on the same ticket. Since we do not want the same itinerary to return, I prefer the flexibility of a separate ticket.

My question remains: is there a site or engine that does the opposite of the [cityX]-->[anywhere] search?
I do not know of such a site, but I suggest that you price Condor from FRA, or Iceland Air from KEF. Watch out for additional charges if you plan to be checking baggage.

Good luck!
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

I've used both of these carriers with fairly good results (our outbound is on Condor and I've really liked the stopover feature in Reykjavik). I'm not entirely opposed to just trying various cities and creating an exhaustive list, but I'd rather use a site that did that for me....
Old Apr 24, 2022, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

FOUND IT!!!

Panflights.com allows for broad searches (i.e., "Italy" or "Europe") for origin *and* destination. Will update if the listed fares turn out to be bogus, but they identify their sources during the search so I'm hopeful!
Old Apr 26, 2022, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Djanaba

NO, to get business class and coach on the same ticket, you just need to call the airline if the *airline's own* website won't do it. Don't book through an OLTA.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 4:43 am

Kiwi also.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.