Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Partner award flight; ticketing carrier goes out of business

Partner award flight; ticketing carrier goes out of business

Old Apr 18, 22, 4:00 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 8,481
Partner award flight; ticketing carrier goes out of business

Suppose I book a JL flight using CX miles. Then suppose CX goes out of business, before (or during) my trip. Is my ticket safe? The ticket would be on CX ticket stock... does that matter? All flights would be operated by JL.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Apr 18, 22, 4:51 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 18,876
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Suppose I book a JL flight using CX miles. Then suppose CX goes out of business, before (or during) my trip. Is my ticket safe? The ticket would be on CX ticket stock... does that matter? All flights would be operated by JL.
A question for the CX forum?
Have been airlines that have closed down, so the flights paid with miles or cash will not operate
Have read with awards the operating airline does not get paid until the flight taken. In the background with ff miles is always real money.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Apr 18, 22, 5:50 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 8,481
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
A question for the CX forum?
Have been airlines that have closed down, so the flights paid with miles or cash will not operate
Have read with awards the operating airline does not get paid until the flight taken. In the background with ff miles is always real money.
I don't think it's really specific to CX.

If I have a flight ticketed by carrier XX and marketed & operated by carrier YY, and XX goes out of business, is my ticket still good? Is the answer different if paid with miles vs paid with cash (you said something about payment not happening until after the flight for awards).
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Apr 18, 22, 8:15 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,428
If there is any schedule change at all, that will require reissuing the ticket - in that case your ticket won't be safe and at best you can hope for a refund or cc chargeback.
If there is no schedule change and ticket has already been issued without any need to reissue or any other changes, i think you will be mostly safe.
nomiiiii is offline  
Old Apr 18, 22, 8:23 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 18,876
Originally Posted by nomiiiii View Post
If there is any schedule change at all, that will require reissuing the ticket - in that case your ticket won't be safe and at best you can hope for a refund or cc chargeback.
If there is no schedule change and ticket has already been issued without any need to reissue or any other changes, i think you will be mostly safe.
From post 1 "using CX miles". Which when an airline ceases to exist, the ff miles tend to have zero value.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Apr 18, 22, 8:44 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 8,481
Ok so what I'm getting here is that to redeem a OW award, transferring to CX is a little risky.

Related question... I have a UA award for January travel, with some segments operated by OZ. If OZ gets acquired by KE are those segments likely safe? I would expect UA to try to take care of me if not but they don't fly their metal where I'm going (DAD) and they can't force award space on another partner.

My understanding is that combination of the operations of that two airlines is not likely to occur until 2024 so this probably won't affect me (I seem to have a 1 year buffer) but I'm not sure.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Apr 18, 22, 8:54 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 99,067
IIRC there have been cases where an airline ceased to operate and its tickets were honored under some conditions (sometimes standby or low fare class availability) by other carriers (often former partners) as a courtesy. I'm not sure whether award tickets were treated differently or not in these cases.

If it's a fare paid with money, your credit card and/or national customer protection regulations might guarantee a refund when a flight is cancelled because the operating carrier has stopped its operations, but this might not help for award tickets, especially when a refund of the miles used would be worthless and/or expired.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Apr 24, 22, 3:56 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 8,481
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
IIRC there have been cases where an airline ceased to operate and its tickets were honored under some conditions (sometimes standby or low fare class availability) by other carriers (often former partners) as a courtesy. I'm not sure whether award tickets were treated differently or not in these cases.

If it's a fare paid with money, your credit card and/or national customer protection regulations might guarantee a refund when a flight is cancelled because the operating carrier has stopped its operations, but this might not help for award tickets, especially when a refund of the miles used would be worthless and/or expired.
I'm shopping about cases when the ticketing carrier goes out of business (but the operating carrier is just fine)

Is a ticket on, for example, an AA or JL operated flight, still valid if it's on CX ticket stock and CX goes out of business?
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Apr 24, 22, 9:44 am
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 99,067
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
I'm shopping about cases when the ticketing carrier goes out of business (but the operating carrier is just fine)

Is a ticket on, for example, an AA or JL operated flight, still valid if it's on CX ticket stock and CX goes out of business?
I understand. Some of the previous cases obviously involved both the flights of the dead carrier and flights on other carriers using tickets written by the dead carrier. However, the LCC/ULCC dead carrier cases wouldn't apply as those airlines didn't interline.

If a ticket paid with money wouldn't be honored, I certainly wouldn't expect an award ticket to be good.

However, if you believe that your CX miles will soon be worthless anyway, wouldn't the question be more about the risk of needing to buy a last minute replacement ticket or whether one should have a fully changeable or refundable alternative ticket in these circumstances?

I don't know whether having high status with AA of JL would matter, but it could help if the resolution is to permit otherwise stranded passengers to fly standby or to sit in economy despite having had a business class ticket. We can only speculate that if CX ceases operations, CX status would cease to be recognized by partners as CX would no longer be an alliance member. OTOH, certain other airlines could be eager to offer status matches/challenges and other gestures in an attempt to capture CX elites.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old May 2, 22, 11:06 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New England
Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Posts: 4,755
Well, recently, when Alitalia went under and ITA sprung from the ashes, all Alitalia award tickets were cancelled. It would depend on whether there's any sort of sucessor airline, and if so, whether they're picking up the old frequent flier program as well. If not, then, all is lost.
diburning is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread