Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

90 min transfer in CDG to ATH from SAN - first timers need advice

Old Apr 10, 22, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Hey there, I booked a flight for a nephew (19 years old) a flight to ATH w stops in MSP and CDG along the way via Delta + Air France in Z the whole way. Will he need to go through immigration in CDG? If so, is 90 min enough for a lost teenager to find his way to the gate? He's not retarded, but will be out of his element and on zero sleep when landing in CDG. Any advice we could give him would be very much appreciated. This will be his first international flight and he will be travelling solo. Do the airlines have a concierge service for someone in his position to help him navigate the airport? THANKS in advance!

This is his itinerary. THANKS GUYS!!!
Old Apr 10, 22, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
He will go through Immigration at CDG. I don't know if he will make it or not, but if he does not, the operating carrier into CDG -- Air France -- would be responsible for getting him to ATH on another flight. You and he should familiarize yourselves with the protections offered by EC261/2004 to passengers flying an EU carrier into the EU, or any carrier out of the EU.

Here's a link to a helpful guide for passengers connecting at CDG:

https://easycdg.com/passenger-inform...n%20terminals.

Why do you think that he would have gone sleepless after an 8-hour flight in a lie-flat, Business Class seat?

I would also double-check with Air France whether a 19-year-old solo traveler in Business Class would have access to the Air France lounges at CDG in the event of a missed connection.
Old Apr 10, 22, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up!
Old Apr 11, 22, 7:54 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by California Pacific View Post
Thanks for the heads up!
While, as noted in #2, he will go through immigration at CDG, he will not retrieve his luggage there; instead, he will go directly to his connecting flight and get his luggage in Athens. I haven't checked the schedule, but I'm sure there are later flights to Athens that day in case he misses his connection. Signs at the airport are in English as well as French, and he should look for flights within the Schengen area after he clears immigration.

Last edited by JPG3392; Apr 11, 22 at 7:55 am Reason: added clarification
Old Apr 11, 22, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As he goes toward the main part of the terminal in CDG (following connections/transit signs, probably involving an very short ride on an underground train), he needs to look for the SkyPriority or Aces No. 1 line, IME usually toward the far left as he approaches a lot of passport control (immigration) desks shortly after leaving the little train. He should not get into the main line with coach passengers. There is likely to be an employee checking that people are entitled to use this special line, so he needs to show his MSP-CDG boarding pass, which should say SkyPriority in the upper left, assuming that it's either printed from the DL website (OLCI) or by a DL agent at LAX or MSP. The AF lounge would be after he's done passport control and is close to the gate for the ATH flight. (At LAX, he should also look for SkyPriority signs for check in, security--especially if he doesn't have CLEAR and/or PreCheck--and boarding, and similarly when boarding the flight in MSP.)

He has lounge access at LAX, MSP and CDG even if there aren't any problems. The LAX and MSP lounges (use the one at MSP between F and G as it's closer to the international gates and is much more likely to make announcements about potential delays for the flight, etc.) both have bartenders, so he can enter at 18 rather than 21 (but not drink alcohol of course). In France, there's no concept of a 21 drinking age, so lounge access (with self serve wine and beer) is no problem. I'm not sure whether AF will serve him on the TATL flight, but they will on the intraEU flight, although AF generally doesn't have alcohol available on morning flights.

I forget whether there's a security check at CDG T2 when connecting from a (DL or AF) USA flight to an AF Schengen flight, but if so, he needs to look for the SkyPriority/Accces No.1 signage to save time; there's no equivalent of PreCheck or CLEAR in Europe in general.

Search this Thread