Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Dumbest Leisure Itinerary You Deliberately Booked? Europe for a day worth doing?

Dumbest Leisure Itinerary You Deliberately Booked? Europe for a day worth doing?

Old Mar 28, 22, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond

So I'm quite tempted to book something quite stupid, and I'm wondering if anyone has ever booked anything equally absurd...

I'm traveling SBP-DEN-EWR-DUB on 4/5 arriving in Dublin, Ireland on 4/6 at 7:00 AM. My dad was very proud of his Irish heritage and for his would-be 80th birthday, I want to go to his favorite bar in the world (O'Donoghue's) to celebrate his memory. I have tried to do this in the past, but COVID messed that up a bit and I haven't actually been in Dublin for his birthday since 2017 (75th birthday).

I am also a very big college hockey fan and my favorite team, the University of Michigan, has qualified for the Frozen Four which takes place on 4/7 and 4/9. I am strongly considering flying DUB-BOS on 4/7 at 11AM, staying in Boston long enough for the games, and then flying back to Boston on either 4/10 or 4/8 depending on how Michigan does in their game.

Ignoring financial aspects, this is stupid, right?

I will be flying home from Dublin on 4/20.

The start and end dates of this trip are non-negotiable and under no circumstances will I not go to Dublin on 4/6.
Old Mar 29, 22, 12:45 am

Programs: AAGld1MM, DL SM, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis, ALL Slv
Originally Posted by catbox9 View Post
So I'm quite tempted to book something quite stupid, and I'm wondering if anyone has ever booked anything equally absurd...
Have you never read through the Mileage Run forums? And if you ever attend a flyertalk meet up you will meet plenty of people who have booked things like this and more!

My personal longest to quickest turn ratio would be SIN-LAX on a Friday to fly home with my family; a few hours at home before a Friday night red-eye LAX-BWI to attend a funeral on a Saturday- stay up most of the night with friends - then on Sunday DCA-JFK-NRT to arrive for a work meeting.
Old Mar 29, 22, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dbuckho View Post
Have you never read through the Mileage Run forums? And if you ever attend a flyertalk meet up you will meet plenty of people who have booked things like this and more!

My personal longest to quickest turn ratio would be SIN-LAX on a Friday to fly home with my family; a few hours at home before a Friday night red-eye LAX-BWI to attend a funeral on a Saturday- stay up most of the night with friends - then on Sunday DCA-JFK-NRT to arrive for a work meeting.

See this is why I like this forum. I mentioned this proposed itinerary to people and they thought I was insane. I just needed a little encouragement and this forum was just the place to do it.
Old Mar 30, 22, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, IHG Spire, National EE, Hertz PC
One of the most classic FT activities is to fly to SIN, not even leave the airport, and fly back home on the same plane you flew in on.
jfkeze likes this.
Old Mar 30, 22, 3:51 pm

Several years ago I flew PDX-LAX in the afternoon, spent a few hours hanging around in the Delta Sky Club, caught a redeye LAX-DTW, grabbed a Mimosa and a snack in the Sky Club there, and the jumped on to a DTW-SLC-PDX and got home less than 24 hours after I left.

Why?

That LAX-DTW redeye was Delta's last regularly scheduled flight of the 747. (they ended up bringing a couple out of retirement a couple of weeks later and used them to fly evacuations out of Orlando ahead of hurricane Irma, but ours was the last *scheduled* flight)

My wife is experienced enough that her total reaction was "You want to do *what*?"
Old Mar 30, 22, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
Several years ago I flew PDX-LAX in the afternoon, spent a few hours hanging around in the Delta Sky Club, caught a redeye LAX-DTW, grabbed a Mimosa and a snack in the Sky Club there, and the jumped on to a DTW-SLC-PDX and got home less than 24 hours after I left.

Why?

That LAX-DTW redeye was Delta's last regularly scheduled flight of the 747. (they ended up bringing a couple out of retirement a couple of weeks later and used them to fly evacuations out of Orlando ahead of hurricane Irma, but ours was the last *scheduled* flight)

My wife is experienced enough that her total reaction was "You want to do *what*?"
You guys are great. I bought my hockey tickets in Boston so I'm pretty much all-in at this point. Still need to get my DUB-BOS tickets. I'm a frequent flyer with United, but I'm going to have to fly Aer Lingus to make it work which means I can't get an upgrade. I guess for a USA/Europe flight BOS/DUB is about the easiest one outside of maybe BOS/KEF so that should hopefully make it a bit more tolerable.

Reading some of these other itineraries, mine barely even counts for being bizarre....

I'm going to leave Dublin airport, spend the day in Dublin, sleep in a hotel in Dublin, and only then will I be flying back to the states (just to fly right back to Dublin in a few days).
Old Mar 31, 22, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, HH Diamond, HY Explorist, Inspirato, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, UA Silver
I think your proposed itinerary sounds fantastic. The fact that you've got a reason (beyond maximizing miles for minimum cost) to go to DUB and BOS makes the whole idea borderline sane. :-)

Enjoy the adventure!
Old Apr 3, 22, 6:00 pm

Did ATL-CDG-ATL for a weekend once for a friend's birthday. Did ATL-BKK-ATL for a 3-day weekend. Did CUN to ATL in the morning for a Covid shot and then ATL back to CUN that same day after the shot and running some errands.
Old Apr 4, 22, 6:10 am

Programs: Delta DM and 1 MM, HHonors Diamond (thru AMEX), Marriott Gold
A decade or so back when distance flown mattered I ended a business trip in D.C. by flying DCA-SLC-JFK-NRT-SIN-NRT-JFK-SLC. Stepped out for 6 hours in Singapore and filled up a backpack with Asian goodies. Blogged the flight to a few of my workmates, nothing really interesting happened but the posts got better as the number of airline drinks went up! Singapore airport at night was fascinating, hope to make it there again soon....
Old Apr 5, 22, 4:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
This is a safe spot to talk flights and miles, when I was younger I did LGA-ORD-MSN-ORD-DUB-ORD-MSN-ORD-LGA from Saturday to Sunday 2 hours in DUB under $350?, plenty of Admiral Club Chits for some Jack Daniel minis to help pass the time... that was in '09 with I think a triple miles promo... but getting old so some details are fuzzy....
Of course then Asia for a long Easter Weekend and plenty of normal weekends to Europe...
Old Apr 5, 22, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Several years back, i think more than 10, there was a fare MKE-SFO for $39 rt no stay required. Did a bunch of those routing was from either ORD or DFW, upon arrival SFO went to the Wharf area and had a late lunch, before returning back. If memory doesn't fail me, we got upgraded pretty much on all the segments we took.
Old Apr 5, 22, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
LAX-LAS-PHX-PHL-CLT-MCO-MIA-LIR-MIA-MCO-CLT-RDU-DCA-JFK-PHX-LAS-LAX in AA F as a Tier Point run. Overnight in PHL on the outbound, 24 hours in LIR, six-hour layover in MCO, overnight in LAS on the return.

Search this Thread