Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to forum

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2022, 1:38 am
Original Poster

New to forum

I am new to this forum and want to start earning miles and travelling.
I enjoy flying business and would like to find the best deals that’s why I’m here.
My problem is every post speaks in some kind of code?
Why have we lost the basic skills of English on here?
Old Mar 20, 2022, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Simanda
I enjoy flying business and would like to find the best deals that’s why I’m here.
Yes. A lot of abbreviations and jargon in aviation and frequent flyer programs (we like that!)
Look here--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php
Where are you based?
Old Mar 20, 2022, 1:49 am

Welcome to flyertalk, it's in code largely because some deals would disappear too fast, but also because most of us have lived in this world so long it's not code, but completely normal.

You are definitely encouraged to self-learn as much as you can, there's tons of useful information, but the deals forum isn't really the place for questions, just for posting deals found. Mwenenzi provided an excellent starting point for that super steep learning curve. Best of luck!
Old Mar 20, 2022, 1:51 am
Original Poster

I’m from the UK and found this forum, I guess it’s like and exclusive boys club?
Old Mar 20, 2022, 1:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
The best way to get the experts in the know to help you is to insult them. 😂
Old Mar 20, 2022, 1:57 am

I’m from the UK and found this forum, I guess it’s like and exclusive boys club?
Not remotely. Neither exclusive, nor all boys, you're just asking questions in the wrong corner!

Check out the link posted for explanations of a lot of terms, and perhaps the BA forum with more specific questions (or the one with you preferred airline). This specific place is where deals get posted, but it's not really a question-and-answer space. The other forums are where that occurs.
mrow and nexusCFX like this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 1:59 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
OP NGMI
Old Mar 20, 2022, 3:48 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
LOL. If you want some sense of fake exclusivity, go visit the BA subforum on here for the fanboys who take postcount and internet points very, very seriously.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 1:12 pm

I believe you are looking for Facebook. This is a very technical site and it doesn't sound like you will enjoy it.
Gertjaars, Whodunit68 and Deckter like this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA
sorry girl / dude
This is neither exclusive nor an old boys club
You can spend 10 minutes on the internet teaching yourself the relevant abbreviations and acronyms.
your complaint is unfounded and you should think about being less lazy and more active in figuring out what people are talking about, rather than being some passive observer expecting things to be handed to you on a plate
Old Mar 20, 2022, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
This is probably the FlyerTalk sub-forum which would be of greatest interest to you:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/

There are opportunities for earning miles -- particularly Avios -- through online and in-store shopping in the U.K. Earning large mileage sign-up bonuses by getting new payment cards is more of a thing in the U.S., rather than the U.K.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:40 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
This is definitely not a boys club, there are plenty of women including myself.
If you are looking to learn about travel rewards I would suggest going to a Facebook group or looking for videos on YouTube. There are plenty of vloggers/ bloggers that can give you a good break down on how to earn miles etc. FT is a great forum but you do have to learn the lingo to understand better the posts
Whodunit68 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 9:00 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Silver, JetBlue Mosaic
A sense of adventure and a sense of humor are essential here. Don't want to look at the glossary? OK, then, but beware of runnng into the below buzzsaw, my favorite newbie question-and-reply of all time on FT:

QUESTION: What's PDB? Pre-departure Boarding?

REPLY: All boarding is pre-depature.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:32 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
LOL. If you want some sense of fake exclusivity, go visit the BA subforum on here for the fanboys who take postcount and internet points very, very seriously.
Also has the worst type of trolls....
Whodunit68 and mikeyfly like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:45 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Oh hey, one of the BA fanboys made it to this thread. Ask the Boomer right above this post. Averages 2.5 posts each day for the past 17 years so you know they have FT listed on their resume 🥱
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Also has the worst type of trolls....
​​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.