Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Need help to solve a mystery missing bag at the airport.

Need help to solve a mystery missing bag at the airport.

Old Feb 28, 22, 11:23 am
  #16  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada, USA, Europe
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 31,454
I donít think we have anyone on this forum that is a baggage handler or lost and found person at FRA on this board. I think you just need to keep calling the airport. But as you say, they have your number so maybe they will call you.
Adam1222 likes this.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Feb 28, 22, 12:22 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 6,162
Originally Posted by Nicolas Piere View Post
Thanks for your thoughts but I really need the thoughts of someone who works as a baggage handler or ground crew as they know the inner workings of the airport.

As far as I know no one in this thread have stated they have experience of the above occupations.

The airline has confirmed they do have instances where bags turn up after a year so there must be other storage areas where cases get neglected for whatever reason.
It's been 5 days. If you haven't received the answers you want, it is unlikely you ever will.
Adam1222 is offline  
Old Mar 3, 22, 8:58 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: TPA Bay area
Posts: 468
A similar situation happened to my daughter at LIS, she had flown from CDG to MIA with a change in LIS. It was an overnight layover, and her luggage was supposed to have been picked up on the belt. Sure enough, when she arrived from CDG into LIS her luggage was not on the belt. She reported it to the LIS officials, and they said the luggage was? might be? en route to MIA, ahead of her. So she went to a hotel and slept until the next morning, to continue her flight to MIA. Well, it never got to MIA. It was a huge, bright neon-pink suitcase with big white flowers, nothing that could have accidently been taken.

She was absolutely distraught. There was no money nor credit cards, but the suitcase was packed with 1950s and 1960s fashion designer clothes she had purchased at various Paris flea markets and thrift shops. Most people would have thought these were just "old clothes", but to her, they were one-of-a-kind works of art.

She filled out a compensation form and was told that there may be a possibility the suitcase would eventually show up--and most likely, it would go to MIA or the origination point of CDG. She considered flying to CDG to check out their lost luggage inventory, as she was told all unclaimed luggage would be held in a special warehouse for about a year. She called the CDG warehouse once every couple of weeks. She tried the same with MIA, but they were far less cooperative.

Sadly, her suitcase was never located. She did recieve compensation--actually the max at the time, PLUS an additional (credit card) baggage loss amount, so she wasn't broke. But she was heartbroken.

Since then she has learned to take photos of everything and purchase additonal insurance coverage.
elizadoo is offline  
Old Mar 5, 22, 1:53 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,596
Originally Posted by Nicolas Piere View Post
Hi there,

I'd be grateful for anyone's thoughts on the below lost luggage mystery.

<snip>

Nick
Originally Posted by Nicolas Piere View Post
Thanks for yoru thoughts / experience on this. It just goes to show that the lost and found people are not always right.
Originally Posted by Nicolas Piere View Post
Thanks for your thoughts.Yes, I do realise now how unwise it was to put those espensive and sensitive things in my bag. I have been compensated for my bag by the airline and the insurance thankfully. However, the airline has stated that even if my bag appeared they would still give it back to me.

I truly beleive the bag has been mis placed in the airport outside of the lost and found process in another storage room by a baggage handler.

I would welcome anyone's thoughts if the the baggage conveyor belt system may have storage rooms with idle bags for whatever reason.
Originally Posted by Nicolas Piere View Post
Thanks for your reply, I've been compensated and cards cancelled.

However, I don't believe the bag has been sold to an auction company. They would need to inspect the bag first to remove cash, perishable items and any potential illegal goods before they sold it to an auction process. If they were to do this tye would have seen my contact details on the outside and inside of the bag. So it would have made it's way back to me. This is one of the reasons why I belive it's been place in a dormant storage room in the airport by a baggage handler that is outside of the lost of found process.

Let me know if you have any experience of any such rooms.
Originally Posted by Nicolas Piere View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. The cards and cash I put in the bag was contigency. I had more money / cards on me and my travel bag. The idea was that if anything happen to me I would have some emergency cards / money in my bag. The password list I took with me in case I needed to log into something. I thought the likely hood of someone stealing with my bag would be slim as it's a heavy object and would only go from the airport to the hotel.

It could be the case that someone has stole the bag and just took the cash and dumped the rest. However, thinking about it on the balance of probability it's more likely someone took it by mistake rather than stole it. Had someone even stole the bag, had they found cash and cards inside I'm sure greed would take over and they would at least try one card or return to the airport to steal more for another score. The police have caught people stealing bags since then but they don't match the person who took my bag. Hence, why I think the bag has been misplaced.

It would be really interesting to speak to a baggage handler to see what happens with idle luggage from their perspective.
Originally Posted by Nicolas Piere View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. I've certainly learn't my lesson but would like to think on the positive side lol.
Originally Posted by Nicolas Piere View Post
Thanks for your thoughts but I really need the thoughts of someone who works as a baggage handler or ground crew as they know the inner workings of the airport.

As far as I know no one in this thread have stated they have experience of the above occupations.

The airline has confirmed they do have instances where bags turn up after a year so there must be other storage areas where cases get neglected for whatever reason.
I'm confused. In reading your posts, you seem to have come up with what you believe to be a plausible scenario, and despite asking for others' thoughts on the matter, you discount every response that doesn't support your narrative. You admit that you don't know how the baggage process works behind the scenes, but insist that it must work how you think it does.

You have come up with a very specific list of behaviors by multiple other people to support your narrative:
  • The bag *must* have been taken by accident (because the dude was wearing "nice clothes"?)
  • The bag *must* have been returned (because the credit cards weren't used)
  • The returned bag *must* have been put in a secret location somewhere, unopened (because nobody saw your contact info and called you)
  • The baggage and lost and found people at the airport are either ignorant of this secret location, or are lying to you.
Let's say someone responds to your question and says "Hey, I'm a baggage handler, and don't tell anyone I told you, but every airport has a special room where we hide random peoples' bags, just to mess with them. The sign on the door says "Security personnel customer service training" because we know that nobody would ever go in there!"

What would you do with that information? Are you going to march back to the airport and tell them that some person on the internet said that your bag was definitely hidden, and to go get it at once?

In most cases, the simplest answer is the most likely one.

As others have stated above, there is *no* evidence that the bag was returned. Absent that, your entire premise collapses.

It is odd that you assume that the baggage people are being truthful when they tell you that sometimes bags just randomly appear a year later, but assume that they are lying when they say that they don't have yours.

Your bag got lost. It sucks, but it's done. You got paid for it (so it technically doesn't belong to you). It might show up someday in the future, but probably not. In either case, no amount of "detective work" that you are going to do is going to speed up or slow down that eventuality.
LondonElite and Adam1222 like this.
Qwkynuf is offline  
Old Mar 8, 22, 11:54 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Northport, NY
Posts: 1,698
I think I'll throw an AirTag into my bag next trip.
Schutzee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread