Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Best overall J product for SFO-PRG

Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Currently: UA 1K | Previously: AS MVPG75K, SPG Gold, Kimpton IC, HH Gold

Hope I'm putting this question in the correct forum! Just curious if anybody has any advice on the best overall J product for SFO-PRG. I've not flown this before and will probably have to make a habit of it. To the extent I've thought about it, my criteria for 'best' entails, in rough order of priority:
1. Lie-flat seat for the TATL leg, no compromises. (I'm still scarred by a SFO-AMS flight where at the last second we got switched from lie-flat B787 to angled lie-flat A330.)
2. Privacy/distance from the next passenger.
3. On-time arrivals/minimal IRROPS and cancellations in the Age of COVID.

Given the last two years, I'm not currently holding any meaningful status on any alliance--so I'm completely neutral on that.

Any advice appreciated.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I haven't flown any of these carriers, but my guess would be EK, KE (via the Pacific), or QR. You should be able to find recent reviews of each carrier's Business Class with a Google search.
felixmendelssohn likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Of course, traveling on any of the three carriers I mentioned in my previous post will involve much longer travel time than routing via Europe. If getting to PRG more quickly is of some importance to you, I would take a look at flying Swiss via ZRH. Although you would be on a narrow-body airplane for the ZRH-PRG flight, that is a very short leg (~ 300 miles), so I would not be too concerned about that.
felixmendelssohn and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Currently: UA 1K | Previously: AS MVPG75K, SPG Gold, Kimpton IC, HH Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Of course, traveling on any of the three carriers I mentioned in my previous post will involve much longer travel time than routing via Europe. If getting to PRG more quickly is of some importance to you, I would take a look at flying Swiss via ZRH. Although you would be on a narrow-body airplane for the ZRH-PRG flight, that is a very short leg (~ 300 miles), so I would not be too concerned about that.
Thanks. Actually it looks like Swiss is the shortest trip, so I'm taking it seriously as an option. I've never flown them before.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You probably want to prioritize taking a nonstop from the west coast to as close to PRG as possible, then continuing on some EU carrier's EuroBusiness offering. If you must connect on the USA east coast, you will be in domestic FC for many hours, which is much worst than even substandard business class.

Another idea to consider might be to fly into VIE and then take the train to Prague. It's a pleasant train ride and might not make much difference in the length of the trip, especially since you arrive into the main train station in central Prague rather than the airport. IIRC it should be pretty easy to use public transportation from PRG to a train station (IIRC there's more than one) that has trains to Prague, or it might make sense to take a taxi from airport to train, especially if you can use a trans station on the outskirts of the city rather than Vienna main station. There's a fast rail link from PRG to the city, but I don't think it's terminus is close to the trains to Prague.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think flying via MUC or ZRH is your best best. Easy airports to navigate and a short second flight to PRG. Personally I would avoid LHR and CDG, but AMS isn't a bad bet. My preference would probably be LX, UA, LH, in that order, mainly because of the seat configuration.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think flying via MUC or ZRH is your best best. Easy airports to navigate and a short second flight to PRG. Personally I would avoid LHR and CDG, but AMS isn't a bad bet. My preference would probably be LX, UA, LH, in that order, mainly because of the seat configuration.
Thanks--this is great advice. I am looking at only MUC/ZRH at this point. But UA > LX because all Polaris seats have aisle access, no?
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You probably want to prioritize taking a nonstop from the west coast to as close to PRG as possible, then continuing on some EU carrier's EuroBusiness offering. If you must connect on the USA east coast, you will be in domestic FC for many hours, which is much worst than even substandard business class.

Another idea to consider might be to fly into VIE and then take the train to Prague. It's a pleasant train ride and might not make much difference in the length of the trip, especially since you arrive into the main train station in central Prague rather than the airport. IIRC it should be pretty easy to use public transportation from PRG to a train station (IIRC there's more than one) that has trains to Prague, or it might make sense to take a taxi from airport to train, especially if you can use a trans station on the outskirts of the city rather than Vienna main station. There's a fast rail link from PRG to the city, but I don't think it's terminus is close to the trains to Prague.
The train idea never occurred to me. Have you done this yourself while traveling for work?
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by felixmendelssohn
Thanks--this is great advice. I am looking at only MUC/ZRH at this point. But UA > LX because all Polaris seats have aisle access, no?
Yes, but single seats on LX are nice and service is better. In the end there is not much in it.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by felixmendelssohn
The train idea never occurred to me. Have you done this yourself while traveling for work?
Yes, when I first had a business meeting in Vienna and then went to Prague on the same trip. I never flew into VIE for a work trip that only involved Prague. (Of course, with COVID-19, one must make sure that Austria entry will be permitted as well as (land) entry by train to Prague.)
Old Feb 8, 2022, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yes, but single seats on LX are nice and service is better. In the end there is not much in it.
Thanks for the advice. Booked on LX, paid extra for the 'privacy' seats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.