Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying DE to USA tickets even tho live in the US

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2021, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Buying DE to USA tickets even tho live in the US

Hi, we live in the USA, but travel to Europe 2x per year to visit family. Tickets are ~20% cheaper on our ORD-FRA route when booked with an origination in FRA vs when ORD is the start leg. Does anyone see any problems with switching our ticketing to buying tickets that originate in FRA vs tickets that originate in ORD? I realize it means we always need to know when our next trip will be, but given kids' school schedules that is pretty predictable for us. We normally fly LH. thanks for any info/watchouts.
D
Old Dec 25, 2021, 1:53 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DSchmid
Hi, we live in the USA, but travel to Europe 2x per year to visit family. Tickets are ~20% cheaper on our ORD-FRA route when booked with an origination in FRA vs when ORD is the start leg. Does anyone see any problems with switching our ticketing to buying tickets that originate in FRA vs tickets that originate in ORD? I realize it means we always need to know when our next trip will be, but given kids' school schedules that is pretty predictable for us. We normally fly LH. thanks for any info/watchouts.
D
I cannot think of any problems but you will be billed in the currency of the point of origin, i.e. in Euro. If you want to be charged in your local currency, you need to book with a travel agent.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some of the USA airlines have rules that prohibit this, especially if the purpose is to avoid fare rules such as minimum stay. I think they're called nested tickets.

OP should probably ask in the airline forum for the marketing carrier. The rules could be different for LH vs UA flights (and whether the flight is ticketed as a codeshare could matter).
Old Dec 25, 2021, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some of the USA airlines have rules that prohibit this, especially if the purpose is to avoid fare rules such as minimum stay. I think they're called nested tickets.

OP should probably ask in the airline forum for the marketing carrier. The rules could be different for LH vs UA flights (and whether the flight is ticketed as a codeshare could matter).
If all of the OP's tickets originate in Germany, there will be no "nested" tickets.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

thank you for the quick replies
Old Dec 25, 2021, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From post 1 "We normally fly LH" So unlikely to be an issue.
But as always ticket t&c's need to be checked for fees for cancellation, changes. And if returns are better than 2 one ways
Would need a 1 way flight to start the ex EU-USA flights. That where award flights can be useful
A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 25, 2021 at 6:41 pm Reason: added ORD-WAW-FRA to map
Old Dec 25, 2021, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

we are in germany at the moment on holiday and i'm thinking of ditching the return leg and just starting a new itinerary from here
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are in Germany at the moment on holiday and I'm thinking of ditching the return leg and just starting a new itinerary from here
Will the cost of that negate any future savings?
Also worth looking at other airports that you can easily get to by train.
Do you have any ff miles?
Yoshi212 and N1120A like this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 5:20 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I have a US-based friend who regularly flies ORD-WAW-FRA and back on LOT. It’s considerably cheaper than ORD-FRA on LH.
N1120A likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 10:36 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
It is not an issue, in the slightest. On this forum, countless people do so.

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I cannot think of any problems but you will be billed in the currency of the point of origin, i.e. in Euro. If you want to be charged in your local currency, you need to book with a travel agent.
That isn't necessarily true. The US airlines will charge you in US currency if you book US point of sale, even if you book originating outside the US.

There are many legitimate purposes for nested tickets, particularly for people who fly a lot.

we are in germany at the moment on holiday and i'm thinking of ditching the return leg and just starting a new itinerary from here
Are the savings that much? Or are you looking at using favorable change rules to extend out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.