Reload this Page >

average premium of nonstop flights over connecting flights

Old Nov 16, 21, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M SEN

FlyerTalkers,

I was hoping for some swarm intelligence here as I am looking to get my handle on data of how much on average nonstop flights cost over connecting flights. I.e. what's the premium that business / leisure travellers are willing to pay to get to their destination with just 1 flight. Does anyone know where to find this kind of data?
Thank you for any tips you may have.
David
Old Nov 16, 21, 4:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by davidcito View Post
FlyerTalkers,

I was hoping for some swarm intelligence here as I am looking to get my handle on data of how much on average nonstop flights cost over connecting flights. I.e. what's the premium that business / leisure travellers are willing to pay to get to their destination with just 1 flight. Does anyone know where to find this kind of data?
Thank you for any tips you may have.
David
There is no such number in general. What city pair are you particularly looking at?
Old Nov 17, 21, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Hi LondonElite,

I was trying to gauge a global average, as absurd as this may be. Looking at our Travel Policy to see what financial impact it may have (directionally) to get our employees not to travel 'cheapest' but 'cheapest nonstop'.... Our company does not have a classic shuttle route, but if I had to go with one it would be London to Chicago. Only looking at Economy. If you have a gut feel, I'll take that as one anecdotal data point :-D
Thank you,
David
Old Nov 17, 21, 12:20 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

There has been lots of research on airfare pricing. Here are some that I found with a quick search.

https://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/121459

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...6655450200008X
Old Nov 17, 21, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Thank you for sharing, cbn42! I had seen the latter but it felt outdated (2002). The first one clearly hits the mark - Thank You!
Old Nov 17, 21, 4:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
With millions of possible three-city combinations, how would an average, if one could be calculated, be of any use at all?
Old Nov 18, 21, 1:25 am
Original Poster

cbn42's recommendation here https://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/121459 has some scientific formulas to calculate (US-flights only).
I was essentially tasked with providing a proposal to my company's CFO what financial impact would a travel policy change from 'cheapest available' to 'cheapest nonstop' have....
Old Nov 25, 21, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the USA, I'd be concerned that a cheapest nonstop policy could push people away from the big three full service carriers (hub and spoke network) and toward point-to-point carriers such as Southwest, Frontier, and Allegiant, which tend to be LCC or ULCC. Some of them aren't very reliable, don't interline even during IROPs, and don't fly many routes with the frequencies needed for business travel. Within Europe, have you considered whether carriers such as RyanAir and EasyJet are likely to offer the cheapest nonstop service on many routes your colleagues need to travel? [This might be less of a concern than in the USA as European LCCs/ULCCs tend to specialize in vacation routes to a greater extent than Southwest, which is by far the largest such carrier in the USA.]

Search this Thread