Wiki Posts
Search

Best use of miles for Thanksgiving travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2021, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Best use of miles for Thanksgiving travel

Hi,

I am trying to fly from LAX to BOS from 11/23-11/28/21 and I'm struggling to figure out the best way to use my miles (or maybe just pay cash). I have approximately 120k Delta miles and 75k Chase UR. I have both a Chase Sapphire Preferred and Freedom Unlimited card. I also have a Delta Reserve Amex.

On the delta site, the flight I want is 107,000 miles or $876.80. On the UR site, the same flight is 70,143 UR points or $876.80.

Alternatively, I could fly 11/23-11/27/21. Using that itinerary, the Delta site wants 76,500 miles or $756.80. For the same flight, it'd be 60,543 or $756.80.

In either of these scenarios, does it make sense to use Delta miles and/or transfer UR points to Delta? My understanding is that it's almost always better to transfer to a travel partner, but as a complete newbie, it appears the UR deal is much better. Alternatively, I could pay in cash, but I'm not sure what determines when to do that in order to save the UR points or miles.

Any help would be welcome.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
UR points don't transfer to Delta. You can Transfer them to a partner though such as VS or AF so check out their redemption offerings and rates.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Aside from the fact UR points are not transferrable (directly) to Delta, UR points are significantly more valuable than DL SkyPesos - probably double.

I generally peg DL at around 1 cent, so the itinerary returning a day earlier (on Nov 27) would be an okay award redemption. Unfortunately, these rates (and cash fares) are only going to continue to increase, given the peak demand before and after Thanksgiving.

Yoshi212 has a good suggestion of looking into Delta travel partners if you'd want to redeem through them via Chase, especially if a program may include a fixed points chart (which is becoming rarer and rarer these days). However, if available, do expect limited inventory in comparison to Delta's own. Also, be mindful any points transfers generally cannot be reversed once submitted, so I would search first to ensure the award reservation can be ticketed before transferring, if that's the route you'd decide to take.

Good luck!
artemis and MSPpete like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.