Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying over Israel & Saudi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2021, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Flying over Israel & Saudi

I wasn't sure where this thread should go.

With the recent change in the Middle East can someone please explain the below to me:
  • A Swiss flight from Zurich - Dubai overflew both Israel and Saudi

This is where things get confusing.
  • A recent BA flight, London - Dubai, flew south of Israel before crossing Saudi and onto Dubai.

My question is why are some airlines taking the longer route when it seems the option is available to overfly Israel & Saudi in the same flight?
Old Jan 2, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Could be a number of things.
-Government relations between the departure & arrival airport countries and the overflown countries permissions.
-Tradition.
-Weather.
-Air Traffic.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:59 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Different times of day and/or days of the week.

Israel and Jordan sign aviation deal to cut time and costs for Gulf flights
The aviation agreement is set to shorten the length of flights between Gulf states, Asia, Europe and North America, and is expected to cut emissions and save costs.

The deal, signed by Jordan and Israel’s civil aviation authorities, will take effect on Friday.

At first the airspaces of both Israel and Jordan will be open for seven hours from 11pm until 6am local time. It will be also be open for 12 hours during the weekends, and for 24 hours during holidays.

Old Jan 3, 2021, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Try to look at QR around DOH, e.g. QR773/774 to/from GRU - then you will se what real deviations are.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Try to look at QR around DOH, e.g. QR773/774 to/from GRU - then you will se what real deviations are.
Or IO106 from Blagoveshchensk (BQS) to Chita (HTA). I don't know why, but for some reason Russian domestic flights always seem to avoid Chinese airspace even if it results in a long detour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.