Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways Class Downgrade - No Discount

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2020, 5:53 am
Original Poster

British Airways Class Downgrade - No Discount

Hi All,

Looking for some advice please. We're booked to go LHR-LAS in November, we booked First Class as it was not much difference in price to Club World (Business). I was emailed earlier in the week and was advised the booking had been downgraded from 1st to Business. There's no reduction in the cost of the trip on the booking however.

I've emailed them to ask, but has anyone had this before? I found this on the CAA website but I get the impression this is for last minute downgrades?
If you are downgraded, your airline must reimburse you within seven days. The amount you receive is calculated as a percentage of what you paid for your ticket, and depends on the length of your flight:
  • For short-haul flights of less than 1,500km, you will receive 30% of the price of the flight.
  • For medium-haul flights of 1,500km – 3,500km, or flights within the EU of more than 1,500km, you will receive 50% of the price of the flight.
  • For long haul flights of more than 3,500km, you will receive 75% of the price of the flight.
It is likely you will only receive a refund for the portion of your journey that was downgraded.

For instance, if you booked a return ticket for £1,000, but were only downgraded on the return leg, your reimbursement may be calculated as a percentage of £500.
Any feedback appreciated.
Mark
Old Aug 7, 2020, 6:03 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

You'll be entitled to 75% refund of the affected legs, not including taxes.

Eg. If a return flight costs £3000, and this is :-

Base Fare : £2000
BA Surcharge : £800
Taxes : £200

Applicable amount : £2800

Your final refund would then be £2800 * 75% = £2100

You can only claim this after you've travelled.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks DYKWIA,

Well if that is the case it will be good news, it affects both legs on a ~£4800 booking so won't be a small refund. Fingers crossed COVID doesn't mess it up!

Mark
Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Good example. In OP's case, without knowing the exact taxes, the reimbursement (refund) will be somewhere in the neighborhood of £3300. The round-trip in CW thus costing roughly £1100. While F might be a bit nicer, is it that much nicer? Many people here leap to cancel or rebook when they have, in effect, been handed a dirt cheap trip in a premium cabin at a time when the soft product differences are even more minimal than usual.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Good example. In OP's case, without knowing the exact taxes, the reimbursement (refund) will be somewhere in the neighborhood of £3300. The round-trip in CW thus costing roughly £1100. While F might be a bit nicer, is it that much nicer? Many people here leap to cancel or rebook when they have, in effect, been handed a dirt cheap trip in a premium cabin at a time when the soft product differences are even more minimal than usual.
My sentiments exactly, the hotel is included in the price quoted above but agree the refund will be welcomed! Just need to be able to fly (Covid permitting) now!

mark
Old Aug 8, 2020, 9:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There is a good reference guide in the BA board which covers downgrades The 2020 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

There are also a few other recent threads with people in the same position as you.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 6:29 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by GibFlyer
My sentiments exactly, the hotel is included in the price quoted above but agree the refund will be welcomed! Just need to be able to fly (Covid permitting) now!

mark
Just be aware that you won't be able to claim the 75% until after you fly. It would make sense for you to fly both legs and then put a single claim in. You may find you need to claim for each person separately - if BA argue and it comes to court, definitely do that.
Often1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.