FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Will this be allowed when europe opens? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/2020530-will-allowed-when-europe-opens.html)

Christopher Mannion Jun 27, 2020 2:37 pm

Will this be allowed when europe opens?

So my gf lives in germany and before all this corona virus stuff, i was planning on staying there for a year. I am just trying to get into the country, and I just read news they will be banning the US from entry on july 1st. However the UK can travel there, so my question is, could i buy a flight to the UK, then buy a flight to germany from there and be fine? Or are they denying any US passports to germany? Not sure how the rules for that would work. Thanks for any answers!

Yoshi212 Jun 27, 2020 4:24 pm

Entry is based on hour passport.

Also your plan to just stay there for a year with a US passport is known as illegal immigration unless you have a visa that goes beyond the 90 day visa waiver for US citizens.

LondonElite Jun 28, 2020 2:22 am

Exactly. Your entry is based on citizenship, and you will be asked upon entry to Germany where you live and how long you intend to stay, which is a maximum of 90 days, assuming you have a US passport. Overstaying can mean deportation and a Schengen ban.

JPG3392 Jun 28, 2020 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Christopher Mannion (Post 32490005)
So my gf lives in germany and before all this corona virus stuff, i was planning on staying there for a year. I am just trying to get into the country, and I just read news they will be banning the US from entry on july 1st. However the UK can travel there, so my question is, could i buy a flight to the UK, then buy a flight to germany from there and be fine? Or are they denying any US passports to germany? Not sure how the rules for that would work. Thanks for any answers!

Welcome to FT!
The advice given above is on target, but you may be misunderstanding the current situation. Germany is not introducing new restrictions on US citizens on July 1st. Germany is not permitting US citizens (with some exceptions) to enter right now, and hasn't done so for the past few months. What's happening on July 1st is that citizens of a large number of countries who have been banned up to now will then be permitted to enter, but the US is not on that list. The list will be revised every couple of weeks, but current statistics indicate that the US will not be added to the approved list in the near future.

Two of my planned trips to Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Italy in May; June/July have been cancelled (wisely) as a result of the pandemic. Sorry for your problems, but you're not alone.

seawolf Jun 28, 2020 10:51 am

Are we sure that is how this will be implemented? The current restrictions in TIMATIC are based on physical location not passport.

So if I’m a UK expat working in Miami for the last year, I will be able to fly to Germany whereas a US expat working in London during the same time can’t?

Fims Jun 28, 2020 1:56 pm

If you get married, you can visit as a spouse of EU national, which has more lax entry restrictions.

Yoshi212 Jun 28, 2020 7:43 pm

Not necessarily the best reason to get married but that would be the couple's business.
Still the OP would require a visa beyond the 90 days for this situation.

Originally Posted by Fims (Post 32492012)
If you get married, you can visit as a spouse of EU national, which has more lax entry restrictions.

seawolf Jul 1, 2020 3:19 am

Restrictions not directly based on passport but by residency.

https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc...20-INIT/en/pdf

When deciding whether the temporary restriction on non-essential travel to the EU applies to a third-country national, residence in a third country for which the restrictions on non- essential travel have been lifted should be the determining factor (and not nationality).

irishguy28 Jul 8, 2020 6:19 am

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 32498572)
Restrictions not directly based on passport but by residency.

Immaterial in this case, I think; if the OP was resident outside the US, I think he may have thought to mention that in his post.

irishguy28 Jul 8, 2020 6:24 am

So my gf lives in germany and before all this corona virus stuff, i was planning on staying there for a year.

Can you be a bit more specific about the plans you have drawn up? What visa (if any) have you applied for, or do you already have a Schengen/German visa or residence permit?

From the little info you've given, it seems that you are travelling on a US passport - but that alone is not sufficient to stay for a year in Germany. As such, we need to know how far you have gone with your planning.

I am just trying to get into the country, and I just read news they will be banning the US from entry on july 1st.

As others have pointed out, that is incorrect. All travel into Germany/the Schengen countries was heavily restricted as of mid March. On 1 July, 15 countries had that restriction lifted; the US is not one of them. US residents have not been admissable for going on 4 months already.

However the UK can travel there, so my question is, could i buy a flight to the UK, then buy a flight to germany from there and be fine? Or are they denying any US passports to germany? Not sure how the rules for that would work. Thanks for any answers!

Given that the purpose of your trip appears to be non-essential, then based on the scant information you have given, you will be refused entry to Germany, regardless of where that flight arrives from. Travelling via the UK will not help get you into Germany.