Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Is selling reservations a thing?

Old Jun 21, 20, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Good afternoon,
to start off I don't know if this is a thing or if anybody is even interested in that. But is it possible to sell reservations?
It's about a reservation at the Gritti Palace in a Presidential Suite.
Old Jun 21, 20, 7:00 am

For which time/conditions?
Old Jun 21, 20, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While every contract may vary a bit and you should, of course, read the terms of your contract to be certain, you will almost certainly find that your contract is non-transferable.

A "reservation" is generally-speaking for you to occupy a room (or specific room) for a specific time period at a specific rate. As it is simply a license, it is not yours to sell or someone else's to buy. If you do not wish to use it, you should then review your contract for the terms and conditions applicable to cancellation.
Old Jun 21, 20, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klaus26 View Post
For which time/conditions?
August and fully flexible with cancellation till 2 days before arrival.
Old Jun 21, 20, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
While every contract may vary a bit and you should, of course, read the terms of your contract to be certain, you will almost certainly find that your contract is non-transferable.

A "reservation" is generally-speaking for you to occupy a room (or specific room) for a specific time period at a specific rate. As it is simply a license, it is not yours to sell or someone else's to buy. If you do not wish to use it, you should then review your contract for the terms and conditions applicable to cancellation.
Okey, thanks for the information. Only read some articles about this topic online and was unsure.
Old Jun 21, 20, 9:37 am

One website that acts as a mediator for this type of thing is RoomerTravel, although they state that the reservation has to be non-refundable. I sold there in the past (about 1-2 years ago) on at least one occasion with success.
Old Jun 21, 20, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Why would you want to sell a reservation you can cancel? Is it b/c you got a great rate and think you can sell for more?
Old Jun 22, 20, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Sometimes if booked with the chains directly you can call their reservations up and have them change the name on the res. Did so a few times with Hyatt and Marriott.
Old Jun 22, 20, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX View Post
Sometimes if booked with the chains directly you can call their reservations up and have them change the name on the res. Did so a few times with Hyatt and Marriott.
Definitely possible for paid stays, not so much for award stays.
Old Jun 22, 20, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Definitely possible for paid stays, not so much for award stays.
For award stays that's even easier at least with Hyatt as they have the option to directly issue awards in another persons name from your account.

With Hilton, IHG Marriott etc you have to add a second guests name to the reservation.
Old Jun 23, 20, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Lennys26v2 View Post
One website that acts as a mediator for this type of thing is RoomerTravel, although they state that the reservation has to be non-refundable. I sold there in the past (about 1-2 years ago) on at least one occasion with success.
Why only for non-refundable?
Old Jun 23, 20, 4:18 pm

Programs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itKz7wjc7ys
Originally Posted by nick00 View Post
Good afternoon,
to start off I don't know if this is a thing or if anybody is even interested in that. But is it possible to sell reservations?
It's about a reservation at the Gritti Palace in a Presidential Suite.
If you do it after having entered and reserved in your own name, it will/may be difficult.

If you have a coupon or code, then probabiliity is much higher unless it specifically states that name on reservation and name on coupon must be the same.
Remember, if the reservation is for two persons, then the second person may arrive earlier and want to check -in upon his/her arrival.
Old Jun 23, 20, 4:47 pm

Thanks WingWorldExplorer, that makes a lot of sense. Sigh I wish things were just easier!
Old Jun 24, 20, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Alex Crem View Post
Why only for non-refundable?
I suspect that this keeps sellers on the platform from cancelling the reservations after them being sold.
Old Jun 24, 20, 9:50 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I think booking.com allows you to change the occupant name online, in your reservation, if I am not mistaken...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: