Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Need help award booking LAX-LIS-BCN-LAX

Old May 24, 20, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

We are looking to book 2 business class from LAX to Lisbon and Barcelona to LAX for travel at the end of March. What Is the best award program should I use?
I currently have
1,000,000 Chase
3,000,000 Bonvoy
500,000 AA
400,000 BA

From my research it looks like ANA requires the least amount. Is that the best option? What is the website I can use to do my research? Thank you in advance for all your help.
Old May 24, 20, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Award availability will be the big issue with all ffp's-airlines
The AA ff miles & BA avios will not increase in value over time. Spend them now or watch them go to waste.
BA AA & IB are all Oneworld & ff partners, so nominally the same availability. But will vary.

Look at the AA sub forumBA subforum
Your guide to spending Avios | 2020 edition

Some ffp's take a dim view on newbie's joining, transferring in credit card points and immediately getting premium cabin awards

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 24, 20 at 10:06 pm
Old May 25, 20, 9:29 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by travelbug2225 View Post
We are looking to book 2 business class from LAX to Lisbon and Barcelona to LAX for travel at the end of March. What Is the best award program should I use?
I currently have
1,000,000 Chase
3,000,000 Bonvoy
500,000 AA
400,000 BA

From my research it looks like ANA requires the least amount. Is that the best option? What is the website I can use to do my research? Thank you in advance for all your help.
I hope you are aware that there will be very high surcharges on award flights if you use BA for the transatlantic flights, more moderate surcharges if you fly on IB, and no surcharge if you fly on AA. The surcharges incurred by using BA from LHR to and from Spain and Portugal are, however, moderate.
Old May 25, 20, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by travelbug2225 View Post
I currently have
1,000,000 Chase
3,000,000 Bonvoy
500,000 AA
400,000 BA

A round-trip with stopover for 88k ANA miles per ticket with minimal surcharges is a pretty good option, if there's award availability. Of the sources of miles/points that you mentioned, transfering Marriott points seems to be the only feasible way to obtain ANA miles.

If you're using ANA miles for US-Europe, you'd want to be looking for Star Alliance partner flights. I haven't used the ANA website to search for award travel, so can't comment on that. You could also use the United website to search for *A award travel (look under Business Saver Award). Once you find flights you want, book with ANA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: