Wiki Posts
Search

GIft cards if ailines bankrupt

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

GIft cards if ailines bankrupt

Hi!

Many of us have gift cards to airlines through our credit card airline credit. What happens to these gift cards when an airline goes bankrupt?

Are they just deemed unsecured credit and get pennies on the $ or are they treated differently and can be used $ for $?

Thanks
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
They won’t be worth anything.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by sarpotd
Hi!

Many of us have gift cards to airlines through our credit card airline credit. What happens to these gift cards when an airline goes bankrupt?

Are they just deemed unsecured credit and get pennies on the $ or are they treated differently and can be used $ for $?

Thanks
Unfortunately, you'll be an unsecured creditor and it's unlikely you'll even get pennies. Use those cards soon if you're concerned!
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Unfortunately, you'll be an unsecured creditor and it's unlikely you'll even get pennies. Use those cards soon if you're concerned!
Ok Got it.

I am assuming an unflown ticketed reservation is however treated differently? It will still be honored if the airline is still flying.

But what if the airline shuts down? Will it be transferred to other airlines in the alliance? What are the laws regarding this?

Also here is something: let's say I book/pay using aa.com but the flight is on Cathay metal and Cathay shuts down before the flight, does AA then have to make other arrangments for me? or am I on my own?

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by LondonElite
They won’t be worth anything.
Was that the case when AA and UA went bankrupt under chapter 11 (reorganization)? I can't recall anyone complaining about airline gift cards not being any good. Now, if you're referring to chapter 7 where the assets are sold off and the carrier grounded, very different there. They have a lot of leeway in chapter 11 to reduce employee costs and renegotiate aircraft leases. I'd can't see any U.S. carrier not wanting to go that route before permanently grounding the fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.