Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

NYC ---> TRS For Family of Four on Points (7/24 - 8/6)

Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Ok...So I've priced this itinerary for cash and I can't do better than $4,000 so I'm searching for a points opportunity with a valuation at least 20% 40% less.

Dates are locked in. Also, I can't get any Chase credit card bonuses which could have earned me United miles (locked out - 5/24 rule).

Looked at United...240K miles, which is great, but I only have 160K points and the itinerary is brutal (2 stops 16 hours). I have enough Marriott points to do a transfer but at 3:1 conversion really mucks up the deal: Marriott conversion is worth about $2160 (240K * .009 = $2160) and the United Miles (at 1.3 cents per x 160K) is about $2,000 so I'm already over $4000.

Does anybody have suggestions for a strategy I could research to get this done:

1. Other credit card bonus opportunities that would support this itinerary.
2. Other airlines to fly with decent award charts
3. Anything else

Thanks for any idea!
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Constructive advice: Look at getting to nearby airports/hub cities and using cheap flights or train to get to your final destination

Legit but not constructive comment, you're trying to travel to peak areas during peak time with multiple people when award travel generally opens up 330 days before travel so you're way late to the game. Plan more appropriately.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nhw3w
Ok...So I've priced this itinerary for cash and I can't do better than $4,000 so I'm searching for a points opportunity with a valuation at least 20% 40% less.

Dates are locked in. Also, I can't get any Chase credit card bonuses which could have earned me United miles (locked out - 5/24 rule).

Looked at United...240K miles, which is great, but I only have 160K points and the itinerary is brutal (2 stops 16 hours). I have enough Marriott points to do a transfer but at 3:1 conversion really mucks up the deal: Marriott conversion is worth about $2160 (240K * .009 = $2160) and the United Miles (at 1.3 cents per x 160K) is about $2,000 so I'm already over $4000.

3. Anything else

Thanks for any idea!
Have you checked award availability?
Theoretic cost in ff miles is meaningless if no award availability

4 awards on the same flight is a big hope. May need to fly 2+2 on different routes/days/airlines.
A mixture of award ticket and cash ticket may the best you can get. A flight with an award may not be the same as the best cash price
With awards you do not need to fly the same ffp/routes/airlines out and back
https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=New%2...=0&c=y&s=1&p=1

Great Circle Mapper
Eu map Great Circle Mapper
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triest...Giulia_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milan_Malpensa_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A...Airport_Prague

Look for cash and awards to any Eu city is the area and then a train to TRS

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 25, 2020 at 1:19 pm Reason: added MXP to EU map
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

You are right about the planning but often you just don't have the luxury of a clear view 1 year away.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Mwenenzi!
Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
A constructive advice - simply give up and choose somewhere else.

I don't know what you have. But it sounds like you are trying to do a trip for 4 persons with inadequate points/miles. So even there are award availabilities, the chance you can make the trip is very slim.

Pick somewhere else that you can really go and book it while it lasts.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
A constructive advice - simply give up and choose somewhere else.

I don't know what you have. But it sounds like you are trying to do a trip for 4 persons with inadequate points/miles. So even there are award availabilities, the chance you can make the trip is very slim.

Pick somewhere else that you can really go and book it while it lasts.
I wish I had the luxury of overruling my wife and mother-in-law
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

3. Anything else

Thanks for any idea!
Is your wife (and mother-in-law) also at 5/24?

I would also look at sign-up bonuses for the Amex Gold and Platinum cards. Both earn MR points which can be transferred to Star Alliance partners whose miles can be redeemed for travel on UA.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Wife is also 5/24...mother-in-law won’t play ball but we have hundreds of thousands of MR points. Both of us have received Plat signup bonuses.

Please explain how I can use them to get the values on the United award chart.

I thought I had tried all of the related carriers and either couldn’t find any flights or they were requiring significantly more miles than United.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wife is also 5/24...mother-in-law won’t play ball but we have hundreds of thousands of MR points. Both of us have received Plat signup bonuses.

I thought I had tried all of the related carriers and either couldn’t find any flights or they were requiring significantly more miles than United.
Did you look at the Avianca LifeMiles redemption chart?

Aeroplan is another option, but if your itinerary included TATL travel on LH rather than UA, Aeroplan would collect hefty cash surcharges; LifeMiles would not.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I wish I had the luxury of overruling my wife and mother-in-law
You do have the luxury. But it will be ugly.

Why don't you share with us on what exactly you have now and see if we can help you to salvage this somehow impossible trip?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would also suggest pricing the trip with Delta miles; depending on your departure city, you might find a better deal than 30,000 miles one way. For example, on July 24, Delta is offering four Economy Class seats for MIA-FCO-TRS on Alitalia for just 25,000 Sky Miles + $25 USD.

Keep in mind that you can use one FFP's miles for the outbound; and a different FFP's miles for the return.

Edited to add: Sorry, I completely missed the designation of "NYC" as your origination in the thread title. DL wants 46,000 SkyMiles from NYC to TRS on July 24.

Further edited to add: DL is offering one award seat at 25,000 miles one way on each of two different Alitalia departures from JFK on July 24. Can you split your party?

Last edited by guv1976; Feb 24, 2020 at 6:38 pm
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amex MR Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program?
Some ffp's take a dim view of people signing up, transferring in cc points and then getting awards

You could send the wife, m-i-l and the other and you could stay at home. May be better than ~10 days in Italy with them
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Exactly guv1976, Avianca!

Then I go their app and can't find any NYC--->TRS routing...can you find anything?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:06 am
Original Poster

If it would help...here are the resources I have...I don't want to spend the points unless I can at least break even vs cash and what I'm really looking for is a deal on points.

AMEX MR 800,000
Marriott BOnvoy 1,000,000
American Airlines 1,000,000
United Airlines 161,000
Delta Airlines 140,000 (split across me and wife)
Citi Thank You 67,000
Hyatt 30,000

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.