Reload this Page >

Honeymoon Flight Deals?

Honeymoon Flight Deals?

Old Jan 21, 20, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Question Honeymoon Flight Deals?

Hi all,

I am new here and have been monitoring the threads for a few weeks now. I travel for business quite frequently and am starting to love this website. My fiance and I are getting married in September 2020 and are looking to do Hawaii ~September 20th preferably on Delta Airlines (out of Atlanta). Any tips on premium fares? We really would like to do the delta one seats, but spending 7k on a 9 hour non-stop flight isn't that justifiable in our current situation. Therefore, we are looking to possibly do comfort + and hope we get upgraded? (Currently silver medallion with reserve CC, looking to accomplish gold medallion by September). Any thought, tips, or advice? Best case scenario we buy one ticket with points and front the cash for the other comfort + seat (currently around ~1,100-$1,300).

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 21, 20, 7:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by rangerr143 View Post
Hi all,

I am new here and have been monitoring the threads for a few weeks now. I travel for business quite frequently and am starting to love this website. My fiance and I are getting married in September 2020 and are looking to do Hawaii ~September 20th preferably on Delta Airlines (out of Atlanta). Any tips on premium fares? We really would like to do the delta one seats, but spending 7k on a 9 hour non-stop flight isn't that justifiable in our current situation. Therefore, we are looking to possibly do comfort + and hope we get upgraded? (Currently silver medallion with reserve CC, looking to accomplish gold medallion by September). Any thought, tips, or advice? Best case scenario we buy one ticket with points and front the cash for the other comfort + seat (currently around ~1,100-$1,300).

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to Flyertalk and congrats on the upcoming nuptials.

Unfortunately the key to finding good premium fares is flexibility on location and/or timing. If you don't have either I'm afraid your best bet is either use miles or buy a cash ticket. Fares are pretty low at the moment and wouldn't expect that they'll go any lower. I would advise against depending on an upgrade, they are quite competitive and don't want you to be disappointed.

My advice is to by the cash tickets that work best for you, save yourself the stress and worry. I hope you and your fiance have wonderful celebration.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 20, 7:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
This isnít a forum where you ask for specific fare deals. Your question is much better off in other parts of FT. Iíve asked a mod to move it.

Play around with google flights and look into positioning flights. If you arenít flexible with dates then you may need to be flexible with departure airport.

ATL is a hub captive market and thus higher fares. Silver or even gold is pretty low on the totem pole especially out of ATL where Iíve seen diamonds be 20+ deep on the upgrade list.
Old Jan 21, 20, 7:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by rangerr143 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
On the outbound, the only way you can cut costs for a true biz fare is to reposition to some cheap outport in the Caribbean like Jamaica or Dominican Republic, which I doubt you want to do since it's your honeymoon. On the inbound, there are steals to be found. Here is one example, $605 UA KOA-DEN-EWR-SDQ biz, KOA-DEN and DEN-EWR are on 757s, and then you throwaway EWR-SDQ:

https://global.momondo.com/flight-se...s?sort=price_a

Very first link when sorted by Cheapest, follow it into UA website. Edit: Oops I didn't see DEN-EWR books into Economy, maybe you can throwaway both DEN-EWR and EWR-SDQ then.

By the way my honeymoon was SIN-CMB-JED-MAD-FCO-CDG-EZE-BOG-LIM-CUZ-LIM-BOG-GRU-ZRH-MAD-JED-CMB-SIN mostly biz.

Last edited by Unionruler; Jan 21, 20 at 8:08 am
Old Jan 21, 20, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Unionruler View Post

By the way my honeymoon was SIN-CMB-JED-MAD-FCO-CDG-EZE-BOG-LIM-CUN-LIM-BOG-GRU-ZRH-MAD-JED-CMB-SIN mostly biz.
Your spouse is clearly destined for sainthood .
Old Jan 21, 20, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
It is more important to get what you want out of the several days you will spend experiencing Hawaii on your honeymoon than the several hours you will commit getting to and from there. That said, I understand wanting to start off your trip in style.

A random 7 day ATL-HNL search around that time shows that you can save at least $1000/ticket with a stop in LAX instead of choosing the nonstop. For this much savings across two tickets I would definitely do that. $1900/ticket in F with one stop isn't terrible and the $500 premium over seats in C+ is definitely worth it IMO. If you get the 6am departure out of Atlanta, you can connect to a lie-flat seat on LAX-HNL.

If you could swing doing one ticket on sky miles and one on cash, that's a good compromise at that price.

Just remember to avoid potential trouble, I would recommend actually booking two one ways with you both on the same PNR. That is, two passengers one way on miles outbound, cash return, on separate reservations each direction (or vice versa). That way if something goes haywire with your flights you don't risk getting split up. This may also give you the opportunity to spend the miles on the more expensive of the legs (outbound versus return) since each direction may not be pricing at the same amount.

If you go into your flight expecting an upgrade, you will be disappointed, so if you want to be up front, you're gonna need to buck up for it with points or $$. At the current prices, I would not recommend buying a cash economy ticket and using miles to upgrade. Using cash or miles to pay the F fare outright is a better value and a certainty of getting what you want. Usually points upgrades to the islands end up getting waitlisted with no guarantee of clearing.

Last edited by PV_Premier; Jan 21, 20 at 10:36 am
Old Jan 21, 20, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Silver: AZ, BA
By the way my honeymoon was SIN-CMB-JED-MAD-FCO-CDG-EZE-BOG-LIM-CUZ-LIM-BOG-GRU-ZRH-MAD-JED-CMB-SIN mostly biz.
Was the divorce already finalised before you got home?

Old Jan 21, 20, 11:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Was the divorce already finalised before you got home?

Nah very happily married, no fights at all
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 20, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott GLD, HH GLD, TotalRewards Diamond
Nah very happily married, no fights at all
always better to keep the L! Sounds like a great honeymoon!
Old Jan 23, 20, 8:52 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Flights from YYZ to HNL can be significantly cheaper can be had for ~$1.2k for F/J/D1 (though not necessarily DL, could be other airlines like UA / AA). You'll of course need to position to/from YYZ but that could be what you spend the miles on.
Old Jan 28, 20, 12:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
It is more important to get what you want out of the several days you will spend experiencing Hawaii on your honeymoon than the several hours you will commit getting to and from there. That said, I understand wanting to start off your trip in style.

Just remember to avoid potential trouble, I would recommend actually booking two one ways with you both on the same PNR. That is, two passengers one way on miles outbound, cash return, on separate reservations each direction (or vice versa). That way if something goes haywire with your flights you don't risk getting split up. This may also give you the opportunity to spend the miles on the more expensive of the legs (outbound versus return) since each direction may not be pricing at the same amount.

If there are two PNRs, though they canít be actually linked, one can ask to have a TCP (to complete party) note added to the OSI (other service information) field in each PNR. An agent dealing with OSO / IROPS then has a note that there is another / are others to complete the party and book together.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: