Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Schedule change within EU

Schedule change within EU

Old Jan 13, 20, 12:50 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Posts: 11,406
Schedule change within EU

I logged into CMT and noticed my domestic flight has moved to 8hrs later in the day which misconnects with the International connecting EU flight that leaves in the afternoon. There is no other flights that day.

Since my flight isn't for another 4 weeks what are my options? Its a LCC but I bought ticket A-B-C as one ticket from a OTA. The schedule change happened a few weeks ago but no one has been in touch with me yet.
onlysuites is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:08 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 15,183
Originally Posted by onlysuites View Post
I logged into CMT and noticed my domestic flight has moved to 8hrs later in the day which misconnects with the International connecting EU flight that leaves in the afternoon. There is no other flights that day.

Since my flight isn't for another 4 weeks what are my options? Its a LCC but I bought ticket A-B-C as one ticket from a OTA. The schedule change happened a few weeks ago but no one has been in touch with me yet.
As purchased from a OTA you may have 2 separate tickets bundled together by the OTA. May not a real 1 ticket with protection.
Time to contact the OTA (good luck!!)
Why would anyone buy tickets on Low cost carrier from a travel agent/OTA?
OTA's don't do customer service
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:13 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,769
Which LCC?
erik123 is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:18 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Posts: 11,406
Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
Which LCC?
Norwegian. The OTA was £100 cheaper then direct. How can I check if it's a bundled ticket or a combined one?
onlysuites is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:21 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 15,183
Originally Posted by onlysuites View Post
Norwegian. The OTA was £100 cheaper then direct. How can I check if it's a bundled ticket or a combined one?
Ask the OTA and Norwegian. We on FT cannot give you an answer.
Do you have 1 ticket number or 2 ticket numbers? (Not 1 PNR - 6 charcters)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 13, 20 at 1:32 pm
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:22 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Posts: 11,406
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Ask the OTA and Norwegian. We on FT cannot give you an answer.
Do you have 1 ticket number or 1 ticket numbers? (Not 1 PNR)
1 ticket number for the entire booking. I don't want to call OTA without knowing my rights.
onlysuites is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:28 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 15,183
Originally Posted by onlysuites View Post
1 ticket number for the entire booking. I don't want to call OTA without knowing my rights.
That's good
Check the Norwegian schedule and determine what DY flights will work. Then phone the OTA and ask to be moved. May or may not work. At worst they may offer a full cash refund. Do no accept a voucher: only cash/cc as original form of payment
What is the route? Full details at the start do help in getting answers

With +4 weeks out EU261 will not apply
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:37 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Posts: 11,406
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
That's good
Check the Norwegian schedule and determine what DY flights will work. Then phone the OTA and ask to be moved. May or may not work. At worst they may offer a full cash refund. Do no accept a voucher: only cash/cc as original form of payment
What is the route? Full details at the start do help in getting answers

With +4 weeks out EU261 will not apply
There is no other flight option that day.

If they fail to get in touch with me will EU261 apply?
onlysuites is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:49 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 15,183
Almost 100% certainty DY advised your OTA. Airlines point of contact is your travel agent
That your OTA did not contact you is not a EC261 trigger

Time to ask for a full cash refund. Or travel on different days or what ever they offer you


Norwegian Air stability through summer?
EU261 question [Norwegian]
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:53 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Posts: 11,406
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Almost 100% certainty DY advised your OTA. Airlines point of contact is your travel agent
That your OTA did not contact you is not a EC261 trigger

Time to ask for a full cash refund. Or travel on different days or what ever they offer you
Are you certain? The EU guidelines state "The airline has the obligation to prove if and when you were personally informed that the flight was cancelled."
onlysuites is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:57 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 15,183
Maybe so. You can wait until the day (after) and then claim.
Or try to get it fixed now

https://www.norwegian.com/en/my-travels/#/lookup
https://www.norwegian.com/en/ipc/res...?RedirectId=10
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 2:32 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Silver: AZ, BA
Posts: 24,477
Originally Posted by onlysuites View Post
Are you certain? The EU guidelines state "The airline has the obligation to prove if and when you were personally informed that the flight was cancelled."
The airline is only required to inform the agent. By electing to go to an OTA rather than directly to the airline, you have nominated that agent as your representative for all dealings with the airline - they are the middleman with whom you, and the airline, must deal.

Given that you booked with the agent, it is up to the agent to receive, and pass on, any such notifications.

It's usually better to deal directly with the airline for exactly these reasons. The airline would be far more pro-active about "fixing" a broken reservation such as this.
irishguy28 is online now  
Old Jan 13, 20, 2:45 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Posts: 11,406
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
The airline is only required to inform the agent. By electing to go to an OTA rather than directly to the airline, you have nominated that agent as your representative for all dealings with the airline - they are the middleman with whom you, and the airline, must deal.

Given that you booked with the agent, it is up to the agent to receive, and pass on, any such notifications.

It's usually better to deal directly with the airline for exactly these reasons. The airline would be far more pro-active about "fixing" a broken reservation such as this.
Luckily I checked CMT. What happens if say the TA doesn't inform the customer and they only finds out at the time of OLCI?

Also are you sure as all websites suggest the following "you werepersonally informed" I would read that as the customer being personally informed rather than a TA.
onlysuites is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 2:55 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Posts: 11,406
If I am reading this link correctly this means that they have to inform pax and not just the TA? Am I right?

Decision

In rendering its judgment, it considered the following elements:
  • EU Regulation 261/2004 provides that passengers are entitled to compensation when their flight is cancelled unless they are informed at least two weeks in advance.
  • The burden of proof that such information was provided to the passenger lies on the operating carrier.
  • The context and objective of the provisions of EU Regulation 261/2004 need to be taken into account.
  • Surinam Airways was unable to demonstrate that Mr Krijgsman was informed of the cancellation more than two weeks prior to scheduled departure time, Surinam Airways is liable to pay compensation to the passenger.
The court concluded that, contrary to what Surinam Airways has argued, the above interpretation not only applies when the contract for carriage was entered into with the carrier directly, but also when this is done via a third party such as a travel agency.

Only the operating carrier is liable to compensate passengers if it fails to fulfil its obligations under the Regulation. This includes those obligations relating to notification in case of cancellation. This is without prejudice to the carrier’s right to seek reimbursement from the travel agent under applicable national law.
onlysuites is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 3:41 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 5,858
Norwegian has no line of communication with you, only the OTA. Norwegian may not even be able to see your email or ph. No. Most OTA dont want the airline to contact the pax directly and will be able to hide contact details from the airline - to keep in control and for revenue purposes OTA wants to avoid direct communication.
Mwenenzi likes this.
SK AAR is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: