Search

Europe In March

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
"If it's Tuesday, this must be Belgium."

You are absolutely correct. It was that or Zurich as far as decent choices.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mbracker
Based on awards availability we were limited in our stops and absolutely 0 flights available directly. The only other cities included were Munich and Zurich and all layovers were 5+ hours regardless of business or economy availability. I've never been to either of those cities, and having almost 4 full days in Paris, we figured we could spare some time in both of those places to see them or about 5-6 hours and then go take advantage of the airport lounges. Barcelona is small enough that most people say you can see everything in 2 full days and then London is for about 8-9 hours before we would want to get to sleep for our early flight the next morning back. If we had cut out the stops on the way, this would have been nearly triple the points, unfortunately Denver has limited direct connections to Europe which is why we are leaving from JFK.

Why do you feel those are two wasted stops? Those seemed like pretty quick access from the airport, pretty condensed city centers, and both being pretty walkable. Most of my travel experience is limited to North America and the Caribbean, so I wanted to try and pack in a few other stops only seeing a few key things in each city.
If you were limited by redemption flights then I suppose you make the most of your long layovers, it is what it is. But getting Europe is fairly cheap, so maybe you should have left your redemption flights to the long hauls and hopped around Europe independently. That would have allowed you to focus more on two places than so many. I suspect you'll get fairly grumpy about hauling luggage everywhere and spending much of your time getting to and from airports, going through security, rather than enjoying the destination itself.
Mwenenzi and irishguy28 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You are absolutely correct. It was that or Zurich as far as decent choices.
I think you may be missing the subtle reference...it's a comedy film from the 1970s.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:30 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think you may be missing the subtle reference...it's a comedy film from the 1970s.

Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Paris-Brussels for a 9 hour layover to see the City- Belgium Airlines
I presume you mean Brussels Airlines? You should have taken the train for that leg. It's faster than the whole flight process.

I guess you wanted to fit in as much as possible, but you're not really allowing yourself enough time to enjoy much. 10 hours in Vienna? 9 hours in Brussels?

1 night in London??? I would have recommended staying in an airport hotel if sleep ahead of an early next day flight is your concern, as stated above, rather than sleeping in the city.
Mwenenzi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.