FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Summary of Perks in Regular Economy for SFO-NYC flights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1994597-summary-perks-regular-economy-sfo-nyc-flights.html)

frankenstien Nov 8, 2019 6:16 am

Summary of Perks in Regular Economy for SFO-NYC flights?

I have occasionally flown SFO-NYC for years, and have noticed that some airlines have been introducing perks like meals and lots of movies, and also that some airlines have added fees (like United Airlines' checked-bag fee for Basic Economy). Is there a website or some place I can go that will show me the different airlines that fly SFO-NYC (for example) along with the perks/fees those trips entail?

Thanks

Often1 Nov 8, 2019 6:49 am

Yes. Go to the website for each carrier and take a look at what is on offer for its premium transcontinental service if it does have such a premium. Pricing varies by carrier, by date, and specific flight.

These descriptions of hard and soft product -- they are not really "perks" -- also change with some frequency. So, it is always worth checking for the specific trip you intend to take.

frankenstien Nov 8, 2019 6:58 am

Thanks for responding. I was hoping there might be a website that combined all these and/or updated the list as time went on, but maybe such a site doesn't exist. At least 10 airlines fly this route, and that's a lot to keep tabs on.

Yoshi212 Nov 8, 2019 8:13 am

10 airlines operate the route? DL, UA, AA, AS & B6 operate that route and the big 3 have some form of elevated service options

B6: Mint product & EMS.
AS: Their standard products offered across fleet with lounge access for first class passengers.
UA: offers lie-flat seats in J and UA Club access along with free meal & premium drinks in economy plus.
AA: offers First & Business class with lie-flat seats. First Class passengers get access to flagship lounge & dining at the airport. MCE is half of their economy cabin.
DL: offers lie-flat seating in J across multiple different types of planes (757, 767, A330) with SkyClub access.

While not fully up-to-date there is this https://thepointsguy.com/2016/05/com...ental-service/ but the above info took me less than 5 minutes to look up while on a conference call.

frankenstien Nov 8, 2019 8:49 am

Sorry if it wasn't clear from my post title: I am looking for information about *economy* seats, not first and/or business and/or premium economy class.

Sorry that I misspoke, you're right it's only 5. Some other airlines fly it if you have connecting flights.

Reading other threads, it looks like flyertalk is mostly for passengers travelling first and business class. I will research elsewhere. Have a nice day.

Yoshi212 Nov 8, 2019 10:06 am

Most of us do not travel in premium cabins. I myself have three transcon flights in Economy scheduled in the next few months. EMS seats on B6 are great for it and E+ on UA (on their 787-10) should be a positive experience. Their 757s could use a refresh but still love the takeoff as those engine spoil up.

FT has a wealth of info but there is also a lot readily available on the airlines sites.

B6 has the strongest economy standard product with free wifi & entertainment along with snacks & drinks. The rest in standard economy will get you to your destination but no real frills.

Originally Posted by frankenstien (Post 31715300)
Sorry if it wasn't clear from my post title: I am looking for information about *economy* seats, not first and/or business and/or premium economy class.

Sorry that I misspoke, you're right it's only 5. Some other airlines fly it if you have connecting flights.

Reading other threads, it looks like flyertalk is mostly for passengers travelling first and business class. I will research elsewhere. Have a nice day.

frankenstien Nov 8, 2019 10:31 am

Thanks for replying. I asked this question because I have been surprised to get a meal on a basic Economy ticket in Delta. When you look at the Delta website (I'm not allowed to link it here because I am a new user) it says:

"On international routes and select domestic routes, you’ll enjoy a complimentary meal in Main Cabin. With every meal on long-haul international flights, enjoy complimentary beer, wine and spirits."

However, I can't find anywhere on that site where it specifies which domestic routes give the complimentary meal. Obviously SFO-JFK was such a route, at least when I took it. Do you see that information available somewhere? I thought maybe someone had compiled that information from Delta and the other carriers, but perhaps nobody has. It would help me decide which airline to fly when the prices/times are all similar.

Thanks anyhow.

Duke787 Nov 8, 2019 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 (Post 31715628)
Most of us do not travel in premium cabins. I myself have three transcon flights in Economy scheduled in the next few months. EMS seats on B6 are great for it and E+ on UA (on their 787-10) should be a positive experience. Their 757s could use a refresh but still love the takeoff as those engine spoil up.

FT has a wealth of info but there is also a lot readily available on the airlines sites.

B6 has the strongest economy standard product with free wifi & entertainment along with snacks & drinks. The rest in standard economy will get you to your destination but no real frills.

DL also provides free meals in economy (no matter what kind of fare you are on) for the JFK-LAX/SFO flights and has IFE in their planes (though no free WiFi). SFO has recently become almost exclusively the 75S (international variant) but used to see an occasional 763/764 -- the 75S Y seats are slightly narrower than the B6 Y seats on the A321.

Here are the details you are looking for on DL free economy meals for domestic flights:

https://news.delta.com/delta-refresh...t-coast-routes

It's all transcon flights but it's not all of them (e.g., RDU - SEA/SEA - RDU gets free economy meals where they compete against AS but RDU - LAX/LAX-RDU does not where DL competes against AA)

Beginning in March [2017], Delta began offering complimentary meals in the Main Cabin on flights between JFK and LAX/SFO. In April [2017], the airline expanded complimentary meals to 10 other major domestic markets from Seattle, New York, Boston and Washington, D.C. including flights between:
  • Boston and San Francisco, Los Angeles and Seattle
  • Washington-Reagan and Los Angeles
  • New York-JFK and San Francisco, Seattle and Portland, Ore.
  • Seattle and Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and Raleigh-Durham

I think UA offers economy meals on EWR - LAX/SFO but only in E+ and I don't believe they do on any other routes (apart from Hawaii).

I am not aware of AA matching this in any way on any domestic route in the lower 48.

LondonElite Nov 9, 2019 1:10 am

I would not describe anything offered in Y transcon on the main carriers as a perk. Perhaps less agony, but that's it.

MSPeconomist Nov 10, 2019 9:07 pm

On DL's website, if you do a dummy booking, you see exactly what amenities each flight includes in each cabin class, so you can see if there will be a meal and whether it's breakfast, lunch or dinner and whether the aircraft has AVOD, electrical outlets, etc. Some of the details vary by aircraft type and time of day, rather than being uniform across all flights on the route.

Note that UA uses EWR, not JFK (or LGA).