Wiki Posts
Search

Very low tax refund

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Very low tax refund

All,

This is my first post here, so I'd like to say hello and sorry if I am writing in wrong directory!

Recently I have booked BA flights I won't be able to make
London Gatwick - Doha - Phuket
Phuket - Doha - London Heathrow

I paid 495.12 GBP in total where 180.00 GBP is flights fare and 315.12 GBP taxes.
My OTA informed me that I can get 'partial' tax refund of just 21.10 GBP. Does it sound right?
To me it looks like too big difference between what I paid and what I can get back.

Need an opinion of someone who has more experience in issues like that. Please.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Welcome to FT!

The 315 GBP includes fuel surcharges (YQ) imposed by BA which will not be refunded. Only the departure tax or other fees payable to airports can be refunded; not the YQ.

If it was me I would wait for a schedule change and then inform the TA/OTA that the schedule change is unacceptable and you want to cancel; then you will get a full refund of the full amount paid. It is very likely that QR will change the flight schedules if your departure date is not in the near furture.
writerguyfl and luc90 like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Are you certain that the taxes are 315.12? Many people add both taxes, which are imposed by governments, and fees, which are imposed by the air carrier, together.

In addition, your carrier may impose an administrative fee for processing a refund and many OTA's impose a fee of their own as well.

Without specific detail, it is hard to advise you whether the numbers are correct. But, they could be.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The taxes for a flight to Thailand is not 315 GBP - it is obvious that this amount includes fuel surcharges. But I agree that the refund amount quoted to the OP may include a fees to BA and/or OTA for making the refund.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
The taxes for a flight to Thailand is not 315 GBP - it is obvious that this amount includes fuel surcharges. But I agree that the refund amount quoted to the OP may include a fees to BA and/or OTA for making the refund.
Thanks,

My invoice says:
Flights - 180
Accomodation and ground services - 0
Insurance - 0
Taxes - 315.12
Additional charges - 0
Credit card service fee - 0
Total - 495.12

I am aware of airline/ota cancelation fees but...

Estimated tax refund is surprisingly low to me.
Maybe because this is my second time I have to change my plans and cancel flights. Previously I cancelled Royal Brunei (non-refund) return flight LHR-DXB and I got refund of nearly 60% of total price what was great.

Is fuel surcharge imposing by all airlines?

Ps. Flights will be between 1-8 of Dec.

Last edited by luc90; Nov 8, 2019 at 3:12 am
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not surprised at all that only a fraction of the price paid to the OTA for non-refundable to ticket, will be refunded to you.

Many/most carriers impose fuel surcharges - some are worse than others. To me it is clear that the "taxes" you quote above are more than real/true taxes - the amount is way too high for that.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:44 am
Suspended

Seems clear that the invoice, presumably issued by your OTA, is deceptive because it lumps taxes and fees together.

Rather than belaboring this, why not call the OTA and ask for the calculation which nets to 21.10? At a minimum, you will know whether the arithmetic is correct.

As to surcharges, many carriers do not impose them and even more impose surcharges but not at BA's levels. They are purely discretionary.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Seems clear that the invoice, presumably issued by your OTA, is deceptive because it lumps taxes and fees together.

Rather than belaboring this, why not call the OTA and ask for the calculation which nets to 21.10? At a minimum, you will know whether the arithmetic is correct.

As to surcharges, many carriers do not impose them and even more impose surcharges but not at BA's levels. They are purely discretionary.
Will ask OTA for calculation when I cancel my booking. But first I will wait for potential changes in flight schedule as SK AAR advised.
I wasn't aware of some of those surcharges etc. and was just curious why there is such a big difference compare to my previous tax refund.

Well... It's gonna be valuable lesson for future.
Thanks all for comments.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Just doing a dummy booking on ba,com in Y for LGW-DOH-HKT-DOH-LHR I get the taxes/fees/charges amount of £315.12 which is made up as follows:

Air Passenger Duty - United Kingdom £78.00
Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom £14.72
Passenger Facility Charge - Qatar £15.00
Passenger Service Charge Arrivals - Qatar £0.80
E7 - Thailand £0.90
E7 - Thailand £0.90
G8 - Thailand £0.40
G8 - Thailand £0.40
Passenger Service Charge (Domestic) - Thailand £18.00
Carrier imposed charge £186.00
-------------------------------------------------------------
Total charges £315.12
Normally for a non-refundable fare the taxes and fees are refunded but the carrier imposed charge of £186.00 would not be, so the taxes and fees in total are around £129. This does not take in to account any cancellation charges though so it would be £129 minus any charges.

What are your OTA's cancellation charges?
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Hi,

OTA cancellation charge is £75
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:24 am
Suspended

So, 129 - 75 (OTA fee) - ? (BA fee) comes out to very close to the refund. Have to presume that the calculation is fairly accurate.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:30 am
Original Poster

I don't know what is BA cancellation fee... but yes - it looks pretty clear now.
Just my OTA's invoice made me confused as shows all amount 315.12 as a 'taxes' and other fees 0.00

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.