db levels on aircraft

Old Oct 7, 19, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Blinged Out
db levels on aircraft

Curious- Wife and I were flying to PWM the other day and we noticed that the MD90 seemed considerably louder at cruising speed/altitude up front than did the 88. She commented about it sounding like a hair dryer in her ear the whole time.

I then got curious and used my db app to start measuring aircraft Ive flown on at cruising altitude/speed. My initial findings are that MDs are loud- even up front (row 10) versus a 737 in row 11. Would anyone like to add data points? It would be nice to know the quietest a/c versus the loud ones.

So Far-

MD 90 Row 10: 84.5db avg
MD 88 Row 4: 82db avg
737-700 (Southwest) Row 11: 78db

Perhaps we can measure and report on this thread- I contend that Airbus aircraft, on average, seem quieter to me at cruise than their BA counterparts. Well see...
luv2vacay likes this.
Old Oct 7, 19, 10:01 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I wouldn't exactly trust an iPhone microphone to accurately measure the noise levels, but I guess it's a good rough estimate.
Old Oct 7, 19, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Oh- totally agree- As much as most on here fly, it would seem like something to do if were ever bored haha! Definitely don't trust my iPhone over pro equipment, but its close enough for government work...
Old Oct 7, 19, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SeaHawg View Post
Curious- Wife and I were flying to PWM the other day and we noticed that the MD90 seemed considerably louder at cruising speed/altitude up front than did the 88. She commented about it sounding like a hair dryer in her ear the whole time.

I then got curious and used my db app to start measuring aircraft Ive flown on at cruising altitude/speed. My initial findings are that MDs are loud- even up front (row 10) versus a 737 in row 11. Would anyone like to add data points? It would be nice to know the quietest a/c versus the loud ones.

So Far-

MD 90 Row 10: 84.5db avg
MD 88 Row 4: 82db avg
737-700 (Southwest) Row 11: 78db

Perhaps we can measure and report on this thread- I contend that Airbus aircraft, on average, seem quieter to me at cruise than their BA counterparts. Well see...
For what it's worth, when I fly I always travel with disposable foam ear plugs. I've found that they make my flights much more comfortable.
Old Oct 7, 19, 11:56 am
Original Poster

The plugs feel uncomfortable to me- we normally wear over ear headphones, but the noise canceling effect sometimes gives me a headache.
Old Oct 8, 19, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
For what it's worth, when I fly I always travel with disposable foam ear plugs. I've found that they make my flights much more comfortable.
I always grab the ones from my amenity kit and wear them under my Bose noise cancelling headphones.....until the other day when Delta advised me that they don't supply them anymore in their kits!!
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:32 am

Programs: DL PM MM, WN A-List, Marriott Titanium
Im on an original CRJ-900 at cruise altitude, 37,000ft. Sitting in 9B. 74-75db, pretty quiet. I walked up to use the front lavatory because back was inop. 82db at row 1, down to 77db by row 4 of first class. Kind of cool to check it out!
Old Oct 9, 19, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SeaHawg View Post
The plugs feel uncomfortable to me- we normally wear over ear headphones, but the noise canceling effect sometimes gives me a headache.
Are we talking about the same type of ear plugs?

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...SABEgKDB_D_BwE

Search this Thread