Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Asked to not recline seat by flight attendant?

Asked to not recline seat by flight attendant?

Old Sep 29, 19, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Marriott Gold, BW Rewards, NEXUS GE, TSA-Pre
Question Asked to not recline seat by flight attendant?

I was flying on AC yesterday going ALG-YUL. I was sleeping most of the flight and woke up on time for supper. As I was sleeping all flight and it's a comfortable position for me my seat was still reclined.

However, as I received my food, the flight attendant told me to not recline my seat and to put my seat normal? What the hell was this about? I heard she said this to other people around me as well.

What right does she have to tell people not to recline their seat? Has anyone ever had this peculiar event occur to them? I decided to incline my seat to its normal position, ate supper, then reclined and fell right back to sleep...
Old Sep 29, 19, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On some carriers, FAs routinely ask people not to recline seats during meal service as there might not be enough vertical space from the tray table to the reclined seat back for a glass in the usual position on a tray. If someone suddenly reclines while the person in the seat behind the recliner is eating, the result easily can be a spilled beverage and a broken glass.
Old Sep 29, 19, 11:59 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Maybe because it’s impossible for the person behind you to eat their food if you were in a regular coach seat with your seat reclined.
Old Sep 29, 19, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by MDFFlyer View Post
I was flying on AC yesterday going ALG-YUL. I was sleeping most of the flight and woke up on time for supper. As I was sleeping all flight and it's a comfortable position for me my seat was still reclined.

However, as I received my food, the flight attendant told me to not recline my seat and to put my seat normal? What the hell was this about? I heard she said this to other people around me as well.

What right does she have to tell people not to recline their seat? Has anyone ever had this peculiar event occur to them? I decided to incline my seat to its normal position, ate supper, then reclined and fell right back to sleep...
May seem weird to you, but it's accepted common courtesy to the person behind you to not recline your seat during mealtimes. Some seats are such that if the seat in front of you is reclined, the tray is right up against your chest and your arms are kind of pinned. Not any way to enjoy a meal.
You did exactly the right thing. Sit up to let the person behind you eat comfortably, and then recline away.
Old Sep 29, 19, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. However, what if I was sleeping and the seat was already reclined? I wonder if the FA would have woken me up to tell me to incline the seat?
Old Sep 29, 19, 1:00 pm

Thanks for the responses. However, what if I was sleeping and the seat was already reclined? I wonder if the FA would have woken me up to tell me to incline the seat?
If the person behind you was seriously impeded from eating (as can happen in some aircraft cabins where the geometry of the seat pitch, recline angle, and tray width haven't been properly worked out) and asked, the FA would probably wake you and aak you to put the seat upright.
SightseeMC and Beano like this.
Old Sep 29, 19, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
I've had it happen on IB coach, the passenger in front of me fell asleep after reclining and seriously, my tray would not even go down to put the food on. It's a pretty big food tray and the drink...it would have been all over the place. FA woke sleeping passenger, he ate his meal, I had mine, and we all went back to reclining once the trays were taken away. If it was a snack (like the narrow snack box) I wouldn't have cared at all, it's just impossible with a full food tray.
Old Sep 29, 19, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redreeper View Post
I've had it happen on IB coach, the passenger in front of me fell asleep after reclining and seriously, my tray would not even go down to put the food on. It's a pretty big food tray and the drink...it would have been all over the place. FA woke sleeping passenger, he ate his meal, I had mine, and we all went back to reclining once the trays were taken away. If it was a snack (like the narrow snack box) I wouldn't have cared at all, it's just impossible with a full food tray.
I see - quite astonishing that they would design a plane to prevent individual A from sleeping with a reclined seat and individual B behind them eating at the same time. This, all in an effort to maximize passenger capacity. Absolutely ridiculous.

I would have been livid if I was woken up because I had a reclined seat and the passenger behind me couldn't eat on his tray. This is out of my control and is the airline's fault. They should buy better planes or advertise a seat that is non-reclineable.

I'm seriously still in shock the FA woke up a sleeping passenger... it's perhaps one of the worst things an FA can do... but then again... if you can't eat... that's horrible as well. I would have expected the FA to have bumped you to business before waking up a sleeping passenger... if any seats were available there...
Old Sep 29, 19, 6:21 pm

I see - quite astonishing that they would design a plane to prevent individual A from sleeping with a reclined seat and individual B behind them eating at the same time. This, all in an effort to maximize passenger capacity. Absolutely ridiculous.

I would have been livid if I was woken up because I had a reclined seat and the passenger behind me couldn't eat on his tray. This is out of my control and is the airline's fault. They should buy better planes or advertise a seat that is non-reclineable.

I'm seriously still in shock the FA woke up a sleeping passenger... it's perhaps one of the worst things an FA can do... but then again... if you can't eat... that's horrible as well. I would have expected the FA to have bumped you to business before waking up a sleeping passenger... if any seats were available there...
I think everyone agrees with you that this is an issue because of cabin design. That's why most passengers just accept it as a standard courtesy for their fellows stuck in a lousy situation. I've had it happen to me, I've had to request an FA to do it for me. I'll ask a conscious passenger myself, but no way I'm waking someone up.
Nontheless, it is usually put into the context of meal service.
Here's how it usually goes:
FA - (gently nudging the sleeper's shoulder) Excuse me, sir. It's mealtime. Would like your meal now?
Me - (groggy) Umm.. Could you serve me last? I just woke up.
FA - I'm sorry to have disturbed you. Certainly I can serve you later. Meanwhile, could I ask you to put your seat upright so the passenger behind you can enjoy her meal? Thank you. Would you like something to drink right now?
MDFFlyer, Adam1222, muji and 10 others like this.
Old Sep 29, 19, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523 View Post
I think everyone agrees with you that this is an issue because of cabin design. That's why most passengers just accept it as a standard courtesy for their fellows stuck in a lousy situation. I've had it happen to me, I've had to request an FA to do it for me. I'll ask a conscious passenger myself, but no way I'm waking someone up.
Nontheless, it is usually put into the context of meal service.
Here's how it usually goes:
FA - (gently nudging the sleeper's shoulder) Excuse me, sir. It's mealtime. Would like your meal now?
Me - (groggy) Umm.. Could you serve me last? I just woke up.
FA - I'm sorry to have disturbed you. Certainly I can serve you later. Meanwhile, could I ask you to put your seat upright so the passenger behind you can enjoy her meal? Thank you. Would you like something to drink right now?
Well put - thanks! :-)

This has definitely changed my perspective of the whole situation. Thanks so much! I definitely see myself much more empathetic
rickg523, bosskh, bruceba and 8 others like this.
Old Sep 29, 19, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA, NH, Amex
What right does she have to tell people not to recline their seat?
What right does she have? What the flight crew says, goes.
Old Sep 29, 19, 8:02 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I’m generally in the “I’ll recline whenever I want”
camp, but mealtimes are an exception. I have no problem going upright for the duration of the meal(s).
Old Sep 29, 19, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I wish they would just lock the seats upright and prohibit reclining. That little bit of recline does next to nothing to make it more comfortable for sleeping and does interfere with the ability of the person behind to eat or use their computer.
Old Sep 29, 19, 8:34 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jerseytom View Post
What right does she have? What the flight crew says, goes.
correct

my wife was awaken by an AC crew (while flying her second PYTPE-YVR in 2 days) and told to raise her reclined seat. She declined and pointed out how much room the people behind her had. Suddenly the service director and four other FAs appeared asking why she was interfering with a flight crew.

Moral of the story is what the crew says goes.. unless illegal.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 29, 19, 9:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Always Flyin View Post
I wish they would just lock the seats upright and prohibit reclining. That little bit of recline does next to nothing to make it more comfortable for sleeping and does interfere with the ability of the person behind to eat or use their computer.
Totally agree with you. This has been argued and discussed so many times on so may threads. My opinion on reclining is that, the benefit to recliner is nowhere close to the discomfort forced on the sorry individual behind. And I truly don't understand folks who recline their seat when they are in an exit or bullhead row, it makes so little difference to you but a huge problem to the person behind you.
shefgab, AStarr and muji like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: