Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Best time to fly from HKG

Old Sep 14, 19, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Newbie here! Husband and I are flying home from a 12 day trip to China/Hong Kong in October. We live 3 hours from SFO and will be driving home. We're looking for advice on what is the best time to fly from HKG to SFO to beat jet lag and make our commute home bearable. Our choices are:

EVA Air 870/18
Depart HKG 3:25 pm
Connecting/Layover in Taipei
Depart 7:40 pm
Arrive SFO 4 pm

UVA 862
Depart HKG 11:15 am
Non-Stop
Arrive SFO 8:55 am

Both flights are on 777 - 300ER. Seating would be in Premium Economy or Business Class.

Any advice on which flight to take and sleep strategies is appreciated!
Old Sep 14, 19, 8:54 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Personally I'd take the nonstop UA flight over the longer connecting itinerary.
Old Sep 14, 19, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
In legit PE I'd take the Nonstop too over connecting to BR PE.
Old Sep 15, 19, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
I'd take the non-stop too. I could get more uninterrupted sleep on a lie-flat (more or less, perhaps not exactly horizontal) seat in J - or if I didn't mind popping an Ambien CR in PE. Sleep doesn't do a thing for jet lag due to time zone changes, but it helps in other ways.
Old Sep 21, 19, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think it's a bad idea to drive so far and in Bay Area traffic conditions after such a long flight.

Have you considered taking an airport hotel parking package and sleeping overnight upon arrival before driving home? IME this can be cheaper than just the cost of on-site airport parking and most airport hotels have free shuttle service.
Old Sep 21, 19, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I don't know if you are north/east/south from SFO. But always check your local airport first. Sometimes, fares from your local airport may beat ex-SFO price.

IMHO - the best flight pair for you will be the UA 877/UA 862 (Evening departure/Morning return). In this case, you can avoid all potential traffic problems.

Since you eye for *A flights only, don't forget checking out SQ 1/2 as well (evening departure/return).

Unless it is truly necessary, skip BR. It does not worth transiting at TPE.
Old Oct 2, 19, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
I don't know if you are north/east/south from SFO. But always check your local airport first. Sometimes, fares from your local airport may beat ex-SFO price.

IMHO - the best flight pair for you will be the UA 877/UA 862 (Evening departure/Morning return). In this case, you can avoid all potential traffic problems.

Since you eye for *A flights only, don't forget checking out SQ 1/2 as well (evening departure/return).

I apologize for the delay. Would you please tell me why I should avoid transferring at TPE?
Old Oct 2, 19, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I too want to know why garykung said to avoid TPE. My experiences were very easy. Shower at the SQ lounge and if enough time head into the city. The buses are cheap & frequent.

Originally Posted by garykung View Post

Originally Posted by PattonsMom View Post
I apologize for the delay. Would you please tell me why I should avoid transferring at TPE?
Old Oct 3, 19, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by PattonsMom View Post
Originally Posted by Yoshi212 View Post
I too want to know why garykung said to avoid TPE. My experiences were very easy. Shower at the SQ lounge and if enough time head into the city. The buses are cheap & frequent.
I believe both of you may somehow misunderstand what I have suggested.

As many posters have already mentioned, the nonstop options ain't bad for SFO-HKG. Unless the prices are attractive, there is virtually no point making a connection at TPE and further prolonging the travel.

TPE is not a bad airport. But it is not good enough to make an extra stop.

Also, when things happen, TPE-HKG is always the first route suffering.

Hence, if it is not truly necessary, it is a stop that can be skipped.
84fiero and Yoshi212 like this.

Search this Thread