FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Best time to fly from HKG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1987287-best-time-fly-hkg.html)

PattonsMom Sep 14, 2019 12:45 pm

Best time to fly from HKG

Newbie here! Husband and I are flying home from a 12 day trip to China/Hong Kong in October. We live 3 hours from SFO and will be driving home. We're looking for advice on what is the best time to fly from HKG to SFO to beat jet lag and make our commute home bearable. Our choices are:

EVA Air 870/18
Depart HKG 3:25 pm
Connecting/Layover in Taipei
Depart 7:40 pm
Arrive SFO 4 pm

UVA 862
Depart HKG 11:15 am
Non-Stop
Arrive SFO 8:55 am

Both flights are on 777 - 300ER. Seating would be in Premium Economy or Business Class.

Any advice on which flight to take and sleep strategies is appreciated!

84fiero Sep 14, 2019 8:54 pm

Personally I'd take the nonstop UA flight over the longer connecting itinerary.

Yoshi212 Sep 14, 2019 10:44 pm

In legit PE I'd take the Nonstop too over connecting to BR PE.

Efrem Sep 15, 2019 8:55 am

I'd take the non-stop too. I could get more uninterrupted sleep on a lie-flat (more or less, perhaps not exactly horizontal) seat in J - or if I didn't mind popping an Ambien CR in PE. Sleep doesn't do a thing for jet lag due to time zone changes, but it helps in other ways.

MSPeconomist Sep 21, 2019 5:13 pm

I think it's a bad idea to drive so far and in Bay Area traffic conditions after such a long flight.

Have you considered taking an airport hotel parking package and sleeping overnight upon arrival before driving home? IME this can be cheaper than just the cost of on-site airport parking and most airport hotels have free shuttle service.

garykung Sep 21, 2019 6:20 pm

I don't know if you are north/east/south from SFO. But always check your local airport first. Sometimes, fares from your local airport may beat ex-SFO price.

IMHO - the best flight pair for you will be the UA 877/UA 862 (Evening departure/Morning return). In this case, you can avoid all potential traffic problems.

Since you eye for *A flights only, don't forget checking out SQ 1/2 as well (evening departure/return).

Unless it is truly necessary, skip BR. It does not worth transiting at TPE.

PattonsMom Oct 2, 2019 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 31549582)
I don't know if you are north/east/south from SFO. But always check your local airport first. Sometimes, fares from your local airport may beat ex-SFO price.

IMHO - the best flight pair for you will be the UA 877/UA 862 (Evening departure/Morning return). In this case, you can avoid all potential traffic problems.

Since you eye for *A flights only, don't forget checking out SQ 1/2 as well (evening departure/return).

I apologize for the delay. Would you please tell me why I should avoid transferring at TPE?

Yoshi212 Oct 2, 2019 8:56 pm

I too want to know why garykung said to avoid TPE. My experiences were very easy. Shower at the SQ lounge and if enough time head into the city. The buses are cheap & frequent.

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 31549582)

Originally Posted by PattonsMom (Post 31588202)
I apologize for the delay. Would you please tell me why I should avoid transferring at TPE?

garykung Oct 3, 2019 12:18 am

Originally Posted by PattonsMom (Post 31588202)

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 (Post 31588384)
I too want to know why garykung said to avoid TPE. My experiences were very easy. Shower at the SQ lounge and if enough time head into the city. The buses are cheap & frequent.

I believe both of you may somehow misunderstand what I have suggested.

As many posters have already mentioned, the nonstop options ain't bad for SFO-HKG. Unless the prices are attractive, there is virtually no point making a connection at TPE and further prolonging the travel.

TPE is not a bad airport. But it is not good enough to make an extra stop.

Also, when things happen, TPE-HKG is always the first route suffering.

Hence, if it is not truly necessary, it is a stop that can be skipped.