FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   best way to use my miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1986017-best-way-use-my-miles.html)

islandguy808 Sep 5, 2019 6:32 am

best way to use my miles

I have 3 airlines that I have miles with. Hawaiian 200K miles, American 65K miles and Alaska 43K miles. Me and a friend would like go from HNL> GRK > NYC in the fall with one stop in Killeen on our way to NY and return NY (lga jfk, ewr) < HNL. With a mix of cash and miles, whats the best plan to try and do this first class? If not the whole trip, at least the NY>HNL leg. Also can I use HawaiianMiles on an AA flight?

skgtheblij Sep 5, 2019 8:01 am

My advice is not to waste your miles (or your money) on domestic first class, especially since Hawaiian has good international transfer partners. Maybe book something lie-flat from Hawaii using your miles, but then look for cash deals or book economy the rest of the way - your American miles will get you a couple of those short haul segments in economy but won't go far at all for first.

guv1976 Sep 5, 2019 8:43 am

Originally Posted by islandguy808 (Post 31492878)
I have 3 airlines that I have miles with. Hawaiian 200K miles, American 65K miles and Alaska 43K miles. Me and a friend would like go from HNL> GRK > NYC in the fall with one stop in Killeen on our way to NY and return NY (lga jfk, ewr) < HNL. With a mix of cash and miles, whats the best plan to try and do this first class? If not the whole trip, at least the NY>HNL leg. Also can I use HawaiianMiles on an AA flight?

Do you have -- or are you willing to get -- a Citi or Barclays AA credit card? Killeen is on the list of reduced-mileage-award destinations for September, October, and November. You can fly to Killeen from anywhere in the lower 48 for 8,750 AA miles per person on a Coach SAAver award, if you hold a qualifying credit card.

Details here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...dmileageawards

Edited to add: For travel from Killeen to the NYC metro area, Long Island/MacArthur Airport (ISP) is also on the list.

islandguy808 Sep 5, 2019 9:10 am

I do have the Citi AAdvantage card. And I recently got the AMEX platinum card that came with 100k bonus points after spending $5000. Also Alaska air has the companion flys free(ish) deal too. Just trying to fit these all together to get us on our way.
Thanks for the info on the reduced mileage awards!

84fiero Sep 5, 2019 9:21 am

Originally Posted by skgtheblij (Post 31493128)
My advice is not to waste your miles (or your money) on domestic first class, especially since Hawaiian has good international transfer partners. Maybe book something lie-flat from Hawaii using your miles, but then look for cash deals or book economy the rest of the way - your American miles will get you a couple of those short haul segments in economy but won't go far at all for first.

It depends on the F cabin seating. I wouldn't necessarily spend the miles for an old recliner-style F, personally. But HA has lie-flat in its A330s which are used on some domestic routes, including JFK. I believe some other carriers at times have lie-flat premium cabin service from the mainland to Hawaii on certain routes, but don't know what those are offhand.

_fx Sep 5, 2019 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 31493460)
It depends on the F cabin seating. I wouldn't necessarily spend the miles for an old recliner-style F, personally. But HA has lie-flat in its A330s which are used on some domestic routes, including JFK. I believe some other carriers at times have lie-flat premium cabin service from the mainland to Hawaii on certain routes, but don't know what those are offhand.

HA is running lie-flats to lots of major airports on the mainland, including JFK, SEA, SFO, LAX, and PHX. UA has them from EWR and ORD, and AA from DFW. NYC to Hawaii is over 9 hours. That's longer than most TATLs. I'd certainly say J/F are worth the miles, if you can find saver availability.

Ted07 Sep 11, 2019 3:19 pm

How much miles can I get from TLV to BCN?