Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Short checking luggage non airline specific.

Old Aug 19, 19, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Would a valid reason for short checking luggage on a International flight connecting to a domestic flight be that one might need to declare items that will be transported in ones checked luggage on first port of arrival into the destination country?
Thx.
Old Aug 19, 19, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
In many, perhaps most, countries, passengers coming off international flights have to pick up their bags at the port of entry in order to clear customs. They then re-check their bags at a transfer desk outside the customs hall. Since nobody forces anyone to re-check bags - in fact, there is generally no way to tell connecting passengers from those who have arrived at their destinations - international arrivals have an automatic short check whether they want it or not.
chgoeditor likes this.
Old Aug 19, 19, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As Efrem correctly notes. the answer to your question depends on the carrier and routing. Non-specific questions are fairly useless because there are any number of permutations as to how luggage is handled.

Please provide the specific information and you will get a correct answer.
Old Aug 19, 19, 10:03 am
Original Poster

WY to MH @ KUL
Old Aug 19, 19, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Efrem View Post
In many, perhaps most, countries, passengers coming off international flights have to pick up their bags at the port of entry in order to clear customs. They then re-check their bags at a transfer desk outside the customs hall. Since nobody forces anyone to re-check bags - in fact, there is generally no way to tell connecting passengers from those who have arrived at their destinations - international arrivals have an automatic short check whether they want it or not.
I'll give you "many", but not "most" countries. Nowhere in Europe do you need to pick up luggage and re-check. Same applies to a number of countries in Asia and South America.

Hoping that a domestic connection will result in a viable "short-check" cannot be generalised. Research is always required.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Aug 19, 19, 11:16 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by Efrem View Post
There are some forced rechecks due to airport layouts- if your international flight comes into E Concourse in ATL, there is no direct landside exit at that point- you claim bags, do the customs formalities, and then have to give them back to the airline to have them sent to a landside carousel because the passengers need to go through a full TSA security checkpoint and then through the airside area proper before they can collect bags and exit the airport. And getting a bag labeled for a connecting flight retagged to get sent to ATL landside is only going to work if it looks like you're at risk for an immediate medical emergency.

(On the other hand F Concourse in ATL has a perfectly nice direct exit to landside from immigration.customs)
Old Aug 20, 19, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by Croupier View Post
Would a valid reason for short checking luggage on a International flight connecting to a domestic flight be that one might need to declare items that will be transported in ones checked luggage on first port of arrival into the destination country?
Thx.
You need to be more specific with your airports. In general (though generalising here is dangerous), I'd say 'no'. You're also opening up a whole can of worms if you are fibbing. What do you plan to say when you are asked what exactly it is that you must declare? And don't think that most check-in agents haven't heard it all before.
Old Aug 22, 19, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Ok so I winged it, wasn’t to hard to convince the supervisor to allow it.
I just said I had a few bottles of expensive wine that I needed to declare on entry to Malaysia and it was done. At first I think he thought I wanted to collect my bag at MCT and was hesitant, airline policy blah blah, but then I explained that I need to declare items and he ok’d it with the check in agent. 4hr connection was not an issue.
I wouldn’t make a habit of traveling like this but once in a while it’s worth the risk to me anyway.

Search this Thread