FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Is using a company like business-class.com a good idea? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1983382-using-company-like-business-class-com-good-idea.html)

beautifulangela Aug 17, 2019 8:32 am

Is using a company like business-class.com a good idea?

I hope I’m not posting in the wrong place. I don’t know flying at all, but I have developed some health issues and can only tolerate flying non stop and business. I have never used miles or a third party company, but need to access less expensive first/business class fares. Is using a company like business-class.com a bad idea?

Croupier Aug 17, 2019 8:42 am

Yes wrong forum, mod will probably more it to the premium fares mileage run discussion forum.

RollAnotherFatOne Aug 17, 2019 8:51 am

Good luck finding a site that is helpful for you. The majority of people would like to find affordable business class direct flights, so where there is demand, price is usually high.

Cheap business class will normally require a number of the following:
- flexible dates
- flexible start / end locations
- flexible routing
- flexible carrier
- flexible carrier attitude towards errors

if you have a number of air miles, you can Google the best redemption options for that programme and a number of sites will recommend best redemptions. Buying points is rarely a saving.

Croupier Aug 17, 2019 9:09 am

Their rule look very restricted and you could be left with nothing if plans change or you need to change or cancel!

Originally Posted by Business-fares.com
Price shown is a round-trip fare in business class per person and based on weekday travel {Monday-Thursday). The price is total includes all taxes and fees and is in USD. The fares will vary based on class of travel availability, airline and city of departure. Business-Class.com will not identify all travel partners or details so not to compete with retail sales of our partners. Savings up to 60% off are based on un-restricted fares of major airlines and can vary depending on the fare rules. All fares are non-refundable and cannot be exchanged or transferred. Please call us directly to check the most current prices and availability. Other restrictions may apply. All fares are subject to change until ticketed.

Probably better off to find award flights for the dates you want and buy miles, most FF programs run constant sales on miles for purchase.

beautifulangela Aug 17, 2019 9:22 am

Thank you! I am buying tickets for tomorrow or the day after, so my plans won’t change. They are offering direct to Rome from DC for $2600 round trip. How can they do this?

MSPeconomist Aug 17, 2019 9:25 am

I'd worry that this could be a mileage broker. No details plus a totally unchangeable ticket, not just nonrefundable, would scare me.

You're better off purchasing tickets directly from the airline.

How do they do it? You might find yourself flying a third world airline with a dubious safety record, a circuitous routing, or a broken fare/separate tickets (perhaps using a LCC/ULCC that doesn't interline) so that you're not protected if a delay causes you to miss a connection.

beautifulangela Aug 17, 2019 9:30 am

This is a non stop which they claim is on United. Does it matter how they bought it if I know I don’t have connections or changes? I’m sorry to ask these questions. I don’t travel much so this is all new to me.

MSPeconomist Aug 17, 2019 9:39 am

If they buy you an award ticket using someone else's (purchased or stolen) miles, you could have the ticket cancelled and lose any miles/status/etc. in your UA FF account. You could be forced to purchase a new ticket yourself to get home from Europe.

RollAnotherFatOne Aug 17, 2019 9:41 am

deleted.

fumje Aug 17, 2019 9:42 am

Originally Posted by beautifulangela (Post 31426449)
This is a non stop which they claim is on United. Does it matter how they bought it if I know I don’t have connections or changes? I’m sorry to ask these questions. I don’t travel much so this is all new to me.

Welcome to flyertalk!

The problem with third-party booking services and some online travel agencies is that it can be quite difficult to discern exactly what you are buying.

I would suggest using google flights to quickly get an idea of the ballpark market rates for airfares on your dates / to your destinations.

Then if you are comparison shopping with other booking services, you at least know what might be a good deal and what might be a too-good (i.e. problematic) deal. And still you will want to carefully scrutinize what they say they are selling you.

I'm not familiar with business-class.com, but quickly checking google I see some reasonable fares in the $2500-$2900 range for Rome - Washington DC, for example: https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/...;sc:b;sd:1;t:f. In this case, it doesn't seem you would save too much with what you found on that website, so you are likely better booking directly with an airline.

cfischer Aug 17, 2019 9:43 am

buy it and check if it is P, Z, D, C or J fare class. If the ticket is I/IN class ... cancel and buy a ticket elsewhere.

mahasamatman Aug 17, 2019 9:53 am

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 31426492)
buy it and check if it is P, Z, D, C or J fare class. If the ticket is I/IN class ... cancel and buy a ticket elsewhere.

I don't believe third-party sales from an unlicensed travel agent are subject to DOT rules regarding free cancellation within 24 hours, and this is for a ticket within the next two days, so those rules wouldn't even apply to an airline.

arttravel Aug 17, 2019 9:55 am

They could be a mileage broker— from the terms and conditions
  1. Frequent Traveler Points. Frequent traveler awards (miles, points etc.), upgrades, certificate vouchers and other discounts or incentives may not apply to Business Class flights, or other travel services. Additionally, mileage accrual may not apply to all tickets. Please discuss this with your agent for more information.
I am skeptical that there are consolidaters having access to a lot of discount business fares.

Has the OP checked on premium air section on flyertalk? There were some for Rome.

MSPeconomist Aug 17, 2019 10:01 am

Originally Posted by arttravel (Post 31426540)
They could be a mileage broker— from the terms and conditions
  1. Frequent Traveler Points. Frequent traveler awards (miles, points etc.), upgrades, certificate vouchers and other discounts or incentives may not apply to Business Class flights, or other travel services. Additionally, mileage accrual may not apply to all tickets. Please discuss this with your agent for more information.
I am skeptical that there are consolidaters having access to a lot of discount business fares.

Has the OP checked on premium air section on flyertalk? There were some for Rome.

That was my first reaction in my post above as it's been reported that a typical MO for a mileage broker is to get back to you with details of what they're offering, presumably after they do a search for an available award ticket and of course award tickets don't earn FF miles etc. The description also tries to suggest that they might (also?) offer some consolidator fares.

Once OP buys a ticket from this outfit, it's totally nonrefundable and nonchangeable, so you ccan't purchase first and then (hopefully) inspect the fare code or fare class or booking class.

arttravel Aug 17, 2019 10:04 am

yes it matters how it was bought. Mileage tickets cannot be resold. You could be stranded and out the money.

How did you find the company?

It is better to not use some random company that one has never heard of — even more so if not a frequent traveler. What if there is a strike in Italy? How will you get help?

I have flown business to Europe in that fare range — but am flying from NY — and I only book with airlines as I want to minimize the hassles.