Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Is using a company like business-class.com a good idea?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is using a company like business-class.com a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:05 am
Original Poster

They created a record locator for me on United but told me I would not earn any miles on the flight. What should I check?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:08 am
Original Poster

I have a lot of health issues so I cannot tolerate complications. I am surprised you have found business class to Italy at the price. Did you book very much in advance?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by beautifulangela
They created a record locator for me on United but told me I would not earn any miles on the flight. What should I check?
You can double check the fare class or booking class, but this strongly smells like a mileage broker. It is an invalid ticket because it violates the T&C of the UA FF program that miles cannot be sold and money cannot be paid for FF (award) tickets. You have been warned.

BTW have you checked the record locator yourself directly on the UA website or just on some attachment they people sent you or on their website? Clicking from an email or third party website could send you to a fake PNR created by a sophisticated fraudster.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That was my first reaction in my post above as it's been reported that a typical MO for a mileage broker is to get back to you with details of what they're offering, presumably after they do a search for an available award ticket and of course award tickets don't earn FF miles etc. The description also tries to suggest that they might (also?) offer some consolidator fares.

Once OP buys a ticket from this outfit, it's totally nonrefundable and nonchangeable, so you ccan't purchase first and then (hopefully) inspect the fare code or fare class or booking class.
You have echoed my concerns — no 24 hour cancellation-

There is also no easy way to find out who is behind the company —

The company has the typical rave reviews on T******* that sound bought — the “XYZ was so helpful” and “ABC listened to me and got the best deals” — and many from one time posters — but for people that had more than one review several of them also have rave reviews on the same companies — sure, sounds legit.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: UA
Well that sounds dubious. Have you called United to ask about the record locator?

I buy buy my business class tickets between 3 weeks to 3 months in advance.

airlines do have fare sales.

if you have health issues it is better not to have a middle man with an OTA —
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by arttravel

Well that sounds dubious. Have you called United to ask about the record locator?

I buy buy my business class tickets between 3 weeks to 3 months in advance.

airlines do have fare sales.

if you have health issues it is better not to have a middle man with an OTA —
Good point about the health issues. What if OP needs to change the return travel date for medical reasons? With a normal ticket purchased from UA, one would call UA and at worst pay the change fee and fare difference, but with a good chance for at least the change fee to be waived when medical evidence is provided to UA. With this outfit, OP would need to buy a one way ticket home, which could easily cost more than the price of this dubious RT ticket.
ysolde and arttravel like this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 17, 2019 at 1:51 pm Reason: fixing autocorrect
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
if this is a mileage broker ticket ... easy to cancel. Call UA tell them you paid for this ticket ... UA will cancel it for you no problem ... then you file a simple dispute with your CC company. Problem solved.
justsawaufo and jerseytom like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:26 pm

There are plenty of options out there for you to book without booking through this 3rd party site. Simply decide about how many days you want to be in Rome and about when and search google flights. I see lots of options from DCA or BWI in that price range for Nov, Dec, Jan, although they do have one stop(I am not going to look too hard)
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by sevastras
There are plenty of options out there for you to book without booking through this 3rd party site. Simply decide about how many days you want to be in Rome and about when and search google flights. I see lots of options from DCA or BWI in that price range for Nov, Dec, Jan, although they do have one stop(I am not going to look too hard)
The OP is looking to leave in a couple of days. If I am not mistaken, UA has seasonal flights out of IAD to FCO (nonstop), which may be why you are not seeing nonstops during the latter part of the year.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Avoid using mileage brokers...

.... Does it matter how they bought it if I know I don’t have connections or changes? I’m sorry to ask these questions. I don’t travel much so this is all new to me. [/left]
You came to the right place. There are quite a few knowledgeable FTers that are more than happy to give you pointers and/or provide answers. Having questions and finding/searching for the answers about travels will definitely help you get the best out of FT.

Chances are that company is a mileage broker. Using a mileage broker comes with high risk and bad consequences. The following master thread is a good start to learn more about mileage brokers:

Mileage/Award Ticket Brokers: Are they legit? [consolidated]

... I have never used miles or a third party company, but need to access less expensive first/business class fares. Is using a company like business-class.com a bad idea?
My advise is not to use any mileage broker ever, especially when you don't travel much. Instead, you should read up our Mileage Run Discussion Forum & Premium Fare Deals Forum and help yourself become a better-prepared business class traveler from now on.

Welcome to FT!
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
if this is a mileage broker ticket ... easy to cancel. Call UA tell them you paid for this ticket ... UA will cancel it for you no problem ... then you file a simple dispute with your CC company. Problem solved.
It would be easy in principle with credit cards like AmEx, but I wouldn't want to try this with a debit card.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
So, tomorrow or the next day have passed. What happened OP? I am curious whether UA let you travel or not.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:41 pm

If it's an award ticket purchased through a broker, the more interesting question will be whether UA allows the OP to use it to travel back home. Airlines seem to prefer to strand people abroad in situations like this, where it's likely to be even more costly and inconvenient.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If it's an award ticket purchased through a broker, the more interesting question will be whether UA allows the OP to use it to travel back home. Airlines seem to prefer to strand people abroad in situations like this, where it's likely to be even more costly and inconvenient.
I don't think airlines are that Machiavellian. I don't think airlines, as a group, are clever and devious enough to be that Machiavellian. However, I think it sometimes takes them a while to figure out what's going on, so they may often figure it out after the traveler takes the outbound trip but before the return. The net effect is the same - see bolded part of the quote.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:52 pm

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.