747 + A380 Trip

Old Aug 11, 19, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

747 + A380 Trip

I'm taking my favourite nephew on a trip. He's an aviation geek and I thought it would be a neat idea for us to fly in the upper deck of a 747 and an A380, planes which he's never flown and which I've never flown in J. Currently, I've found a YUL-MNL itinerary on Asiana that involves a 747 for ICN-MNL and an A380 for ICN-JFK for $3,600 CAD (2,700 USD). While this works, Manila isn't an ideal destination to spend a several day trip in. Does anyone know of any other airline routes where we could fly both planes? Unfortunately, YYZ only seems to get LH and KL with 747 service. What are some reasonably priced routes? I've been researching on positioning to Europe and taking TG to say HKT or doing some intra-Asia travel. Unfortunately, I don't have enough miles for all the tickets in J.

Budget: Up to $4,000 CAD (3,000 USD) for roundtrip to Asia
Departure: Preferably YYZ, but also YUL, NYC, ORD, DTW
Airlines: Preferably *A

Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 19, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QF fly B747 & A380 from Aust<---->USA. Aircraft will depend on route.
However your budget for J or even PE will be a long way from what QF charge

EK fly an A380 SYD-CHC every day

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._747_operators
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...and_deliveries

Edit
QF will no longer fly B747 Aust<---->USA from Dec 2019

https://simpleflying.com/qantas-boeing-747-us/
https://simpleflying.com/qantas-dome...g-747-flights/

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 11, 19 at 5:25 pm
Old Aug 11, 19, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Does it have to be Asia? Between Boston and New York you can probably get on a BA flight on both a 747 and 380.
Old Aug 11, 19, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
Does it have to be Asia? Between Boston and New York you can probably get on a BA flight on both a 747 and 380.
Oops. I can see how my words were confusing. The destination can be anywhere but I'd really only be willing to pay the upper limit for a really long flight.

Thanks for the BA tip. The BOS-LHR flight is definitely an option at the lower fare times.
Old Aug 11, 19, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
Oops. I can see how my words were confusing. The destination can be anywhere but I'd really only be willing to pay the upper limit for a really long flight.

Thanks for the BA tip. The BOS-LHR flight is definitely an option at the lower fare times.
BOS-LHR is a very short overnight flight. Does that fit the bill? I don't think they schedule the 747 on the day flight.
Old Aug 12, 19, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
BOS-LHR is a very short overnight flight. Does that fit the bill? I don't think they schedule the 747 on the day flight.
The length is fine for the price but it might be hard building an A380 segment into the same trip from BOS or NYC.
Old Aug 12, 19, 6:44 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I think it does from JFK. Usually you can book from JFK and return to BOS. And there re hourly shuttle flights between BOS and JFK.
Old Aug 14, 19, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
BA is a good option -- I believe they fly the A380 into BOS / ORD / IAD -- so you could go 747 one way, A380 other way.

LH is another option -- they fly both the 748 and A380 to JFK -- looks like you can do about $2.7k/person for RT in J at the moment with LH with that combo
Old Aug 18, 19, 12:22 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
A while back, I was looking at flights from SFO-BOM/DEL. I noticed that I could get a 747-8i, A380, 747-400, and A340 in the same RT.
I should have booked that trip. Under $3k it wasn't, but I think it was under 4k in J, which for an av geek trip to hit all the 4 engine options is pretty awesome.
I think one of those flights may have hadleg to DEN and maybe one of the 747s went from there?
Old Aug 18, 19, 3:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I flew JFK-MEL with a plane change in LAX. The LAX-MEL flight was an A380 and the MEL-LAX segment was on a B747. I was in premium economy both ways. The whole flight back to LAX I was badly wishing I was on an A380. I had done a lot of flights in the upper deck of a B747, I used to fly JFK-NRT a lot. But the different generation of plane really shows. That said, the upper deck of the 747 is a unique, historical experience.

Search this Thread