Wiki Posts
Search

Need Pro Help Booking Multi City Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Need Pro Help Booking Multi City Itinerary

Hi folks,

I've booked some open-jaw trips before to save money, but my list of desired stops next year are making my head spin.

So, I thought I could use the help of flying pros to figure out which legs would be best to book together and which would be best to book separately in order to get the best bang for my buck:

Leg 1: ORD to PEK
Leg 2: PEK to XIY
Leg 3: XIY to HKG
Leg 4: HKG to PVG
Leg 5: PVG to TYO (either HND or NRT)
Leg 6: TYO to ORD

Have at it!
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
What have you been able to find? When you travel will have a big impact of the cost. Same for class of service.

You may wish to employ a professional for this one.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 4:37 am
Original Poster

It seems to be Beijing and Xi’An that drive up the prices. I would be traveling in early June.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:13 am

I'd do Star Alliance for:

Cathay for:

High speed rail for:

Would really recommend train between Beijing and Xian. Would really recommend against taking the airplane between those two cities.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tangeng
I'd do Star Alliance for:

Cathay for:

High speed rail for:

Would really recommend train between Beijing and Xian. Would really recommend against taking the airplane between those two cities.
thank you! Is there a specific rail company I should look for?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mulderxcoltrane

thank you! Is there a specific rail company I should look for?

With some minor exceptions, all train services in China are operated by the government; there are no different brands you can choose from. You can, however, choose the speed of trains. From Beijing to Xi'an, or vice versa, take the high speed rail option - you can be in one city or the other within a few hours.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
With some minor exceptions, all train services in China are operated by the government; there are no different brands you can choose from. You can, however, choose the speed of trains. From Beijing to Xi'an, or vice versa, take the high speed rail option - you can be in one city or the other within a few hours.
Any specific site I should use to book?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

Any specific site I should use to book?
I use ctrip.com for rail tickets - it's a Chinese travel services provider.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I use ctrip.com for rail tickets - it's a Chinese travel services provider.
is there a drastic difference between the class levels to pay for a higher class?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is there a drastic difference between the class levels to pay for a higher class?
2nd class: 2-3 configuration
1st class: 2-2 configuration
business class: lie flat seats
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:41 pm

I see you got more help. ctrip is tops for travel in China.

A few things about flying in China.
Early flights get you on time pretty well. If you are leaving before 9AM, you have a good chance of arriving within 30 minutes of scheduled.
Later flights especially afternoon flights have one time rates of 40-50% with delays that can average 90 minutes. Air space or air traffic control is limited and the crowded air space build up progressively worse delays as the day goes on. But you still have to be there just in case you do take off as scheduled. This is a huge waste of time.
Flights booked 90 days ahead of time are full price fares. For economy seats, these are (B/Y) coded fares. The full price fares are set by government regulations. Expensive! If you insist on flying and budget conscious, look for deals closer in.
Flying domestically China feels like a series of one-way tickets. I haven't seen pricing benefit for multi-city or round trip.

For rail there is also overnight sleeper option to consider if that option fits your schedule/budget better. You can drop a night of hotels for a night aboard a train. These are T or Z class trains.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tangeng
I see you got more help. ctrip is tops for travel in China.

For rail there is also overnight sleeper option to consider if that option fits your schedule/budget better. You can drop a night of hotels for a night aboard a train. These are T or Z class trains.
And I can book overnight trains on CTrip as well?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And I can book overnight trains on CTrip as well?
Yes.

The expectation needs to be managed on these overnight trains. Yes, you would be saving a night of accommodation, but you would also likely be sharing a room with strangers (unless you have enough travel companion(s) to book the entire room): hard sleepers (no doors) = six bunk beds per room; soft sleepers = four bunk beds per room; deluxe soft sleepers = two bunk beds per room + sitting area + sink/toilet in a separate compartment. There are also certain long distance trains where you have options to buy tickets for hard/soft seats in addition to beds.

On my last trip, my companion and I traveled one way on high speed rail, and one way on deluxe soft sleepers overnight train (we had our own room) - price was about the same; the experience, however, was far worse on the sleeper train.

My personal recommendation: skip the overnight trains if possible.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:05 am

Sorry for the slow responses. Rate limited on the posts.

I'll skip over the details of the train seats for now. There are many video reviews of the train and the seats. I'd suggest watching some of those if you are interested. The overnight trains are an experience, but running at 120 km/hr, they are far slower and situational. For some people, it fits the schedule.

I would suggest playing around with ctrip reservations. You should quickly find out how far in advance you can book these tickets and it's not that far in advance, ~60 days. In fact, the discount fares for flights probably go out much farther in advance.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It seems to be Beijing and Xi’An that drive up the prices. I would be traveling in early June.
For intra-China travel next June, you should start looking next April. Ctrip might be happy to take your money for train tickets sooner, but they won't actually buy tickets until tickets are offered for sale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.