Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Suggestion on Trip Delay Benefits

Suggestion on Trip Delay Benefits

Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Post Suggestion on Trip Delay Benefits

My credit card (CC) gives me a $500 credit (You will be reimbursed up to a maximum of $500 per Account per Trip, for reasonable, additional accommodation and travelling expenses) for flight delays greater than six hours. I booked a trip for the month of October on a Sunday. A few weeks thereafter I got an e-mail saying my flight got changed to the next day, on the Monday, as the airline's schedule changed.

From my understanding, in this case, this would be characterized as a flight delay so I could be compensated $500 per the following terms and conditions: (You will be reimbursed up to a maximum of $500 per Account per Trip, for reasonable, additional accommodation and travelling expenses).

Leaving on the Sunday or Monday for me is not a big difference. In this case do y'all think it would be reasonable for me to maybe use the $500 to buy some clothes and claim it as "travelling expenses" from my CC?

Thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
My credit card (CC) gives me a $500 credit (You will be reimbursed up to a maximum of $500 per Account per Trip, for reasonable, additional accommodation and travelling expenses) for flight delays greater than six hours. I booked a trip for the month of October on a Sunday. A few weeks thereafter I got an e-mail saying my flight got changed to the next day, on the Monday, as the airline's schedule changed.

From my understanding, in this case, this would be characterized as a flight delay so I could be compensated $500 per the following terms and conditions: (You will be reimbursed up to a maximum of $500 per Account per Trip, for reasonable, additional accommodation and travelling expenses).

Leaving on the Sunday or Monday for me is not a big difference. In this case do y'all think it would be reasonable for me to maybe use the $500 to buy some clothes and claim it as "travelling expenses" from my CC?

Thanks!
I could be wrong, obviously (!), but I'd guess the compensation is for when there is a delay while you are traveling, and you need to get extra food, or a jacket, or pajamas, etc.

You could probably arrange to have a non-refundable ticket changed to a different day/flight or refunded, given the magnitude of the schedule change. But this would be from the airline.

GC
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Thanks!
Is the rescheduled flight from your home airport, or from a distant airport?

If a distant airport, and it is your return flight that is being rescheduled, then I would just call the credit card's insurance services rep and pose the question directly.
Tirmiziumair likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
You could probably arrange to have a non-refundable ticket changed to a different day/flight or refunded, given the magnitude of the schedule change. But this would be from the airline.
This is true! However, as the rescheduled flight is from a distant airport, I don't mind staying an extra night as I'll be staying with friends. From my understanding, such schedule changes do allow me to call the airline and change the flight to a different day or get refunded; however, I was hoping to take advantage of an extra $500 of credit by not rescheduling :-)

Originally Posted by guv1976
Is the rescheduled flight from your home airport, or from a distant airport?

If a distant airport, and it is your return flight that is being rescheduled, then I would just call the credit card's insurance services rep and pose the question directly.
Thanks! It is my return flight that is being rescheduled. Instead of returning on a Sunday, I am now returning on the Monday. I just called my CC's insurance services rep and they told me such an incident would be considered to be a "flight delay" and I would be entitled to the $500 credit; however, I was mainly wondering if I could easily charge $500 in clothes as credit. Perhaps a nice pair of shoes? Do y'all think my CC's insurance service would accept this "travel expense"? Thanks again :-)
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
This is true! However, as the rescheduled flight is from a distant airport, I don't mind staying an extra night as I'll be staying with friends. From my understanding, such schedule changes do allow me to call the airline and change the flight to a different day or get refunded; however, I was hoping to take advantage of an extra $500 of credit by not rescheduling :-)

Thanks! It is my return flight that is being rescheduled. Instead of returning on a Sunday, I am now returning on the Monday. I just called my CC's insurance services rep and they told me such an incident would be considered to be a "flight delay" and I would be entitled to the $500 credit; however, I was mainly wondering if I could easily charge $500 in clothes as credit. Perhaps a nice pair of shoes? Do y'all think my CC's insurance service would accept this "travel expense"? Thanks again :-)
I hadn't realized that it was the return flight, which does change things. (However, given the advance notice, I'm a bit surprised that the insurer isn't asking or expecting you to try to mitigate their loss, by trying to get another flight the original day.)

Will you have any receipts for the extra night, such as hotel and food? Or are you staying with friends?
Look at your policy. I'm not sure that clothing would be reimbursible if you aren't dealing with lost luggage. Perhaps you could claim <joke alert> that your shoes wore out JUST AS you were about to leave, so you needed a new pair for that last day
It probably depends how the policy is written.

GC
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I expect that the expenses have to be "reasonable." Is this with US Bank? Regardless of the card issuer, I suggest that you review the coverage's terms and conditions as set forth in the benefits booklet that you were undoubtedly sent when you received your card. If you no longer have the booklet, call your card issuer and request a replacement.

If you do intend to make a claim, make sure that you have documentation of the original flight -- including the fact that it was charged to your credit card -- and information from the airline indicating that your ticketed flight was cancelled, and that you are being re-accommodated on the following day. I would try very hard to get documentation from the airline that there is no earlier flight that they can accommodate you on.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
I hadn't realized that it was the return flight, which does change things. (However, given the advance notice, I'm a bit surprised that the insurer isn't asking or expecting you to try to mitigate their loss, by trying to get another flight the original day.)

Will you have any receipts for the extra night, such as hotel and food? Or are you staying with friends?
Look at your policy. I'm not sure that clothing would be reimbursible if you aren't dealing with lost luggage. Perhaps you could claim <joke alert> that your shoes wore out JUST AS you were about to leave, so you needed a new pair for that last day
It probably depends how the policy is written.

GC
+1.

I'm pretty sure that Trip Delay coverage only covers lodging, meals, and ground transportation. But there is no substitute for reviewing the terms and conditions of the coverage.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Is this with US Bank?

If you do intend to make a claim, make sure that you have documentation of the original flight -- including the fact that it was charged to your credit card -- and information from the airline indicating that your ticketed flight was cancelled, and that you are being re-accommodated on the following day. I would try very hard to get documentation from the airline that there is no earlier flight that they can accommodate you on.
It is with BMO - the Canadian side. There is an earlier flight, but the day before my initial planned departure. Good tips- thanks!

+1.

I'm pretty sure that Trip Delay coverage only covers lodging, meals, and ground transportation. But there is no substitute for reviewing the terms and conditions of the coverage.
That's true - all it says in my terms and conditions are: (You will be reimbursed up to a maximum of $500 per Account per Trip, for reasonable, additional accommodation and travelling expenses). I guess what they define as "travelling expenses" is subjective. Haha, I like that idea, my shoes wore out! haha. I guess I'll test my luck and buy a nice dress shirt and a cheap pair of shoes and see if it gets reimbursed as additional travelling expenses as I didn't pack enough clothes to stay "one extra" day in a foreign country. :-)
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:20 pm

It is with BMO - the Canadian side. There is an earlier flight, but the day before my initial planned departure. Good tips- thanks!

That's true - all it says in my terms and conditions are: (You will be reimbursed up to a maximum of $500 per Account per Trip, for reasonable, additional accommodation and travelling expenses). I guess what they define as "travelling expenses" is subjective. Haha, I like that idea, my shoes wore out! haha. I guess I'll test my luck and buy a nice dress shirt and a cheap pair of shoes and see if it gets reimbursed as additional travelling expenses as I didn't pack enough clothes to stay "one extra" day in a foreign country. :-)
Ordinarily, that sort of thing, a few extra clothes, wouldn't be a problem. For example, if your bags are already checked, especially. That's when one needs a change of clothes, some toiletries, and maybe even some slippers (okay, "But I was wearing only my slippers when I checked my bags, so I needed *shoes*!" ).
But if you know a few, er, months in advance...? You really can't plan for that one extra day?

I'd just be careful, and be prepared *not* to be reimbursed.

GC
MDFFlyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.