FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Suggestion on Routings HKG-YVR in Short Segments (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1981510-suggestion-routings-hkg-yvr-short-segments.html)

JordanWalker Aug 4, 2019 2:42 am

Suggestion on Routings HKG-YVR in Short Segments

Potentially looking to fly an elder (80+) from HKG to YVR.

Physically fit to fly, but she has never flown on any flights more than 4+ hours in the past, and haven't been on any flights in the past ten years. So looking for some suggestion on some of the routing that cut up the trip into shorter legs, accomplained by one of her sons. Could either be transits, or potentially layovers for few days at a city to tourist around before continuing again.

Even a PEK-YVR would require ~10.5 hours. HNL? GUM?
HKG-NRT-YVR with the latter leg at 8.5 hour seems to be the shortest I can find.

Any other creative routings, with less than 4 stops?

Repooc17 Aug 4, 2019 7:04 am

Assuming cost not prohibitive: HKG-GUM-HNL-YVR

LondonElite Aug 5, 2019 7:30 am

Wouldn’t all the hassle of on/off, and possible irrops be more stress than just getting it over with in one go?

craigthemif Aug 5, 2019 8:30 am

You can hop across the Pacific, except it will take twice as much flying time, plus all of the additional aggravation of taking several flights. A non-stop in PE or J HKG-YVR would potentially be cheaper and far more pleasant.

However if you plan to stop for a few days in Guam, Hawaii, etc. then it could make more sense.

Alternatively you could look for a cruise ship positioning. I know my parents cruised from Vancouver to Japan last autumn.

84fiero Aug 6, 2019 6:44 am

UA is dropping its HKG-GUM service in October.

What about HKG-TYO-HNL-YVR? longest leg would be roughly 7.5 hrs TYO-HNL

DragonSoul Aug 7, 2019 1:40 am

HKG-DHB-LHR-JFK-YVR

The longest flight would be around 8 hours.

Personally, as a 'mature' flyer, I would prefer to do it one flight than have 3 stopovers.

Efrem Aug 8, 2019 3:44 pm

As someone who will be in the 80+ category in less than three years, I think an important question hasn't been answered yet: what class? I can see wanting to get out of the plane every so often if I'm stuck in the small seats, but in F or J, time in the air isn't nearly as much of an issue, and I've done a few US West Coast - Oz trips in Virgin Australia PE recently without pain. (My wife, who is also 70+ though not as much + as I am, and I flew LAX-MEL and SYD-SFO a few months ago in J. The thought of making a long trip even longer by stopping off here and there, unless it's the only way to get out of a tiny seat for longer than a trip to the lav and back, is not attractive.)