Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

28-year old guy who hasn't traveled much (on vacation) - where do I go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

28-year old guy who hasn't traveled much (on vacation) - where do I go?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
This is such a great post. I’m super excited for you because you have so many points and you’re going to have such a great time seeing the world.

my advice would be not to focus so much on the value of what you’re redeeming. You have tons of points and so many opportunities to earn that you don’t really need to maximize the value you’re getting. I would just choose your destination, focus the little time and mental energy you have on trying to make it work, and if you can’t then don’t stress too much.

My advice for ski destinations within easy reach of you:
whistler
jackson
big sky
banff / lake louise (send me a PM if you’re coming here, we’ll do a ski day)
on the epic pass, anything in Colorado is a great choice. Personally I’m a vail and a-basin fan

I would also advise you not to rule out some of the places on your list like Asia, and Europe just because of lack of time. Personally I’ve done multiple crazy 4 day trips to far off destinations because just like you, that’s how much time I have. Flyertalkers of all people will be sympathetic to that, because many of us have done the same for fun, or for mileage runs. Who cares if you’re only in Tokyo for 2 days if you’re having fun (and flying business class).

I think it’s fantastic you’re taking this step, and best of luck.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Go to the airport. Look at the departures board. Look at the various cities. Figure out which one you wish you were on the most. Book a flight to that place.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd start with baby steps. It's a lot easier to do a faraway trip on a long weekend if you're en experienced traveler. If you have a car, they're are places within driving distance of Dallas for long weekends. Otherwise, start with easy places, no connections, good hotels, easy logistics. The more exotic stuff is fun, but is more fun for experienced travelers, such as ski resorts in Japan. For long weekends, focus on places that have nonstop flights with convenient schedules. From DFW, you have lots of options without doing anything complicated. This should be fun, not work. You want to enjoy your experiences and not stress over the logistics. OTOH you can afford to buy a bit of luxury so don't hesitate to pick the better hotel or go to dinner in the great restaurant if possible, within reason.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I’d agree with MSP’s baby step comment. Find what you like first, at closer locations.

I love Asia, but I don’t think a 4 day trip there is going to cut it. Hopefully you can spend 10-14 days sometimes on a trip.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
You mention skiing, but are you someone who enjoys the solitude of skiing by yourself on vacation? Or did you like skiing more when doing it with others? Or was one of the highlights of the ski trips having others to hang out with after the slopes but not also on the slopes?

You've got enough miles/points in terms of number and variety to have a few good vacations at least, but what constitutes a good vacation is very personal.

I love the EPIC ski passes, and they do have some domestic and foreign ski resort access that are definitely worth using for me. But even as I'm someone that enjoys skiing in a group and apres-ski/get-together activities, I also greatly enjoy skiing alone in a foreign land and being left alone. So for me, any good ski trip would be any good ski trip regardless of whether I was by myself or with others. I say this because it's hard to make a great suggestion to others about what kind of vacation to take and to where without having a better idea of what the person likes and dislikes, what their tolerance levels are for things they may not like, and examples of trips they have enjoyed in the past and how/why they enjoyed those previous trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.